[comp.sys.apple] Public domain software for the Apple IIe

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/06/88)

>Part of the enhancement kit replaces the ][e 6502 processor with a 65C02.
>This part of an enhanced ][e come along "free" with a Applied Engineering
>Transwarp accelerator board...

True; I've a MACH 3.5 (bought from A.P.P.L.E) which is the same (and if
there's really a ZipChip out there somewhere, it has the same feature),
but an accelerator is an expensive option.  I've got 2 //e's but elected
not to buy an accelerator for the second one (speed up the processor
and all it really does is make you aware of how much time you actually
spend in disk I/O which doesn't get any faster).  Accelerators in one
form or another run $150-$200.  Seems to me you can buy a 65C02 all by
its lonesome for about $12 (NOTE: the accelerated chip is a 65C02C <--
extra 'C' on the end - which CAN'T simply be plugged in where the
6502 is <the ZipChip includes a cache memory along with the processor>).

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (01/08/88)

In article <> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>>Part of the enhancement kit replaces the ][e 6502 processor with a 65C02.
>
>form or another run $150-$200.  Seems to me you can buy a 65C02 all by
>its lonesome for about $12 (NOTE: the accelerated chip is a 65C02C <--
				       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>extra 'C' on the end - which CAN'T simply be plugged in where the
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>6502 is <the ZipChip includes a cache memory along with the processor>).

The 65C02C is a higher clock speed RATED chip.  It has no clock of its
own - none of the 65xx series has.  Therefore, you can use a higher
speed rated chip in a system without compromosing anything - you just
have overkill, as the higher speed rated chips cost more.  The
standard Apple //e's use a 65C02B, which I believe is rated at 2 MHz.,
although the clock speed on the Apple is about 1 MHz.  (My Apple //e
enhancement kit came with a 65C02A which I think is 1 MHz.)  The accelerator
cards which run with a clock of 3.58 MHz. usually use a 4MHz. rated
chip, which is the 65C02C.
--
					-dave

David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!