[comp.sys.apple] Fileservers, et al.

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (01/08/88)

"Leonard B. Bliss" <blissl@ecsvax> writes:

>We are in the planning stages in designing a computer laboratory
>which will house approximately 60 APPLE IIgs microcomputers.

Bravo!  I am glad to see that someone is taking the //gs merits and
using it on a grand scale!

>For various reasons, we wish to network these machines in order to
>allow students to run software kept on a hard disk at a central
>location rather than having each user run from separate diskettes
>at their stations.  Our problem is locating a file server which
>will allow us to do this with APPLE IIgs's,[D.  Apparently there
>are all sorts of neat little minicomputers that would do the job
>for us if we were using MS-DOS machines, but we haven't been able
>to get any information from anyone ** on how to do this with our
>APPLES.

I truly hope that you can find a way to get this done.  If you find a
system that works reliably as a fileserver for the //gs PLEASE post it
to this net and email me immediately so I can buy it!

>(APPLE says they are working on it)

We know, they have been working on it for a LONG TIME!  Note the listing
on your control panel for slot 7?  It sure looks like it says AppleTalk
to me!  I really wish that Apple would get this vaporware OUT to the
users that have been begging for it, and the developers that refuse to
consider the Apple //gs a serious computer without it!

I saw one of these crash, and it was not a pretty site!@!

>Is there any [Done out there who can give us some information on this?
>Please reply by E-mail and I will gladly summarize any information
>for those who may be interested.

If you get ANY information on this (since you are in a position to
probably spend more on this project than I make in a year!) I, and others
most assuredly, would appreciate any information on getting a reliable
fileserver for the Apple //gs.  Thanks

Todd South

Thats <mcnc.ORG!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth> for you
Leonard!  Please keep me informed of the outcome!

  |  Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI.                  | The more I drink,|
  |  Uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth | The more all this|
  |  Pacific Proline (808) 499-2831 -1007  2400bd | makes sense...   |