[comp.sys.apple] unix & GS

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (12/28/87)

This is NOT intended to start any kind of rumor.  Dreaming that it would
be nice to have an operating system for my GS that allowed concurrent
operation (e.g., file transfers at the same time as wordprocessing) I am
prompted to ask the following question:  does anyone know of anyone
attempting to port Unix to the IIGS?  given a system with enough memory
it ought to be possible, especially with C compilers apparently on the
way.

ralphw@TEMP.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (01/04/88)

In article <871228152645.593250@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>This is NOT intended to start any kind of rumor.  Dreaming that it would
>be nice to have an operating system for my GS that allowed concurrent
>operation (e.g., file transfers at the same time as wordprocessing) I am
>prompted to ask the following question:  does anyone know of anyone
>attempting to port Unix to the IIGS?  given a system with enough memory
>it ought to be possible, especially with C compilers apparently on the
>way.

Minix (a v7 Unix clone) should work ok, since the 65816 is similar to the
8088.  Shouldn't take more then 512K for a reasonable port.  Since I don't
have a //GS or a C compiler for it I can't port it right now.
Check out comp.os.minix (or maybe info-minix-request@udel.edu) for details.

You could try to convince MicroWare to port OS-9 to the //GS, they have a
nifty multitasking OS that runs on the Color Computer, and their working
on window system interfaces.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

In article <871228152645.593250@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>does anyone know of anyone attempting to port Unix to the IIGS?

I've considered doing something along those lines (probably using a
public-domain UNIX-like clone like Minix as a base, since I can't
afford a personal UNIX source license).  It would need a second hard
disk (for the experimental, buggy UNIXish system to be tried out on),
but I may end up with a second one soon anyway.  If anyone is
seriously pursuing such a project, I would be glad to discuss some
of the design issues off-line.  Frankly, I'm not sure it would be
worth the effort, unless Apple were likely to support the result.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/10/88)

Doug and anyone else interested.  I want to cast my vote in favor of
such a project.  I would LOVE to have Minix running on my GS.  I am
so tired of ProDos and its single task limitations.  Even the supposed
minimal invocatabilitiy of Prodos 16 doesnt hold a match to fork and
exec.  I havent purchased APW C yet, simply because to get the full environment
you have to buy that blasted assembler as well, but I guess I will have
to break down and get it.  But I dont know anything at all about o/s
development.  If someone can get a minix kernel running on the GS, I would
be interested in helping get the various utilties, etc. running.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817