[comp.sys.apple] Hypercard

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/10/88)

One potential cost to Hypercard for the GS though is that it will force
users to buy a harddisk.  Right now, I can live with 2 3.5" drives and
a 1.5 meg ram card.  Hypercard on the GS will probably require a minimum of
1 meg memory and a 10 meg or more hard disk.  And it needs to be very fast;
I have seen hypercard on a SE using Apple's internal 20 meg - is it slow!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (01/10/88)

Would Hypercard be considered more of an Operating system, programming
language, or both/neither. I don't own a Mac, and from what I've heard
Hypercard is now my only impetus to buy one. However, everything that I have
heard about it comes from people who either have never used an Apple //, sell
Macs, or both. That's why I'd like some input from people who have tried both.
Is stackware written by Hypercard or for it with Assembly, C, etc? And back to
the original point that was brought up, about Hypercard being ported to the //G
S, is it the way in which Hypercard itself works, or the way in which it uses
Mac technology. That is, would it be as unique if it was running on a IIGS?
I should point out that I have never had the chance to use Hypercard. These
are not rhetorical questions.
Bob Church   CS656@OUACCVMB

>Date:         Sat, 9 Jan 88 19:07:29 EDT
>From:         CS656%OUACCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Bob Church)
>Subject:      Hypercard

>Would Hypercard be considered more of an Operating system, programming
>language, or both/neither.

Well, it's not *just* a programming language, and it's not *the* Operating
System (since the real Mac OS is still there).  I consider it a very large
piece of application software.  Apple considers it "system software," I
think, so they can bundle it with the system.  Also, Apple is no longer in
the Application software business; Claris is doing the application software.

>I don't own a Mac, and from what I've heard
>Hypercard is now my only impetus to buy one.
>[...]

I'm not sure I understand; previously you had *no* impetus to buy a Mac, or
you someone convinced you that your previous reasons for wanting a Mac were
bad?

>Is stackware written by Hypercard or for it with Assembly, C, etc?

Yes.  All of the above.  Generally it's written just by using Hypercard--you
move things around, choose options from dialog boxes, etc, and have a simple
piece of stackware.  You can write in their script language (called HyperText)
to attach special actions to different actions on things.

If you need to, you can write external commands (XCMDs) and external functions
(XFCNs) in other languages (Assembly, C, Pascal, etc.) and call them by name
from your HyperText scripts.

>And back to the original point that was brought up, about Hypercard
>being ported to the //GS, is it the way in which Hypercard itself works,
>or the way in which it uses Mac technology. That is, would it be as unique
>if it was running on a IIGS?

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but the biggest problems with
porting HC to the IIgs are speed (it might be hard to make the IIgs version
work fast enough) and differing screen resolution.  It would/will be tricky
to port existing Stackware to IIgs HyperCard.

>I should point out that I have never had the chance to use Hypercard. [...]

You should *definitely* go play with it for a couple of hours at an Apple
dealer sometime.

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CI$: 72177,3233

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (01/10/88)

RE: Hypercard as impetus to buy a MAC.
I want/intend to learn programming on a MAC someday.  However, in many
ways there is no hurry.  I am still using Assembly on my //C and hope to
start on C this quarter. If I wait, say, a year, the prices will be lower
the memory expanded, etc. However, this may have changed.  If Hypercard
is half as significant as the dealers tell me( and judging by notes on
this server it is) then it may be worthwile to get the MAC now. As a relative
newcomer to programming it seems that it would be advantageous to be in on the
"beginnings" of a new system. What do people who have been programming for a wh
ile think? Would it be better to go ahead and get the second machine now, or
to stick to what I have for a while and then get Hypercard/MAC later?

rich@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Rich Sims) (01/11/88)

There have been a couple of messages on the subject of Hypercard and the GS,
Since I have, and use, both a GS and a Mac with Hypercard, I thought I'd throw
in my $0.02.

Until the GS runs _much_ faster, I don't think Hypercard will be viable.
Another consideration is that Hypercard is visually (graphics) oriented, and
the GS graphics just can not, at present, match those of the Mac.  Hypercard
is also a memory hog.  My Mac, (a Plus with only 1 meg of RAM) is severely
underpowered for running an application like that.  Lastly, Hypercard (for all
practical purposes) requires a fast mass storage device, since the stacks are
not kept in memory, but accessed as data files.

I get the feeling that most GS users want to think of their machine as some
kind of "mini-Macintosh".  I use them both, and the result of having both of
them is that I don't even _try_ to use the GS with a mouse-driven, "Mac-like"
interface.  It's just not up to the task...yet!!

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-lumen!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-lumen!pro-exchange!rich@nosc
INET: pro-exchange!rich@pro-lumen.cts.com
pro-exchange:  305-431-3203  :  300-1200-2400-9600/ARQ  :  login as 'register'

In article <8801091908.aa23127@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>Would Hypercard be considered more of an Operating system, programming
>language, or both/neither.

It's hard to categorize, since it's unique.  It forms an environment
for both the end-user and the stack developer, but the two "hats" are
blurred since anyone can tweak a non-password protected stack to
better fit their own goals.  I suppose one wouldn't go too far wrong
in labeling it a "graphically-interfaced data management system with
embedded programming language" (the language is HyperTalk).  If you
know about Ted Nelson's "hypertext" ideas, they formed part of the
inspiration for HyperCard, especially its information linking
facilities.

>Is stackware written by Hypercard or for it with Assembly, C, etc?

HyperCard can be switched into an authoring/scripting mode that is
used to create or modify stacks (as opposed to a reading/browsing
mode).  The graphical interface takes care of much of the work,
although for really fancy stuff one ends up providing some
instructions in HyperTalk language.

>That is, would it be as unique if it was running on a IIGS?

HyperCard's uniqueness lies in its concepts, not the Mac as such.
The IIGS desktop environment (toolkit ROM) should provide most of
what the Mac contributes to HyperCard.

In article <408@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>Hypercard on the GS will probably require a minimum of 1 meg memory
>and a 10 meg or more hard disk.

This is about the minimum anyone with serious uses for a IIGS will
need (eventually) anyway.  Some of us have already decided that the
32MB ProDOS volume size limit is getting in the way!  However, I
don't think HyperCard would necessarily require a hard disk; within
a year or two, I expect to see CD-ROM HyperCard browse-only stacks
showing up on store shelves.

>And it needs to be very fast; I have seen hypercard on a SE using
>Apple's internal 20 meg - is it slow!

I don't know why; it may have been dependent on the particular stack.