[comp.sys.apple] 2400 baud modem

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/07/88)

I have the good fortune of having the use of a Univerity owned
2400 baud modem on the Apple I have in my office along with a
1200 baud modem at home.  Although our mainframe uses fullscreen
editing (and a number of other processors), I haven't been enough
impressed by the greater speed of 2400 baud to rush out and spend
nearly $200 to replace my 1200 at home.  Sure 2400 is faster,
but nowhere nearly as dramatic as the difference between 300 and
1200.  File transfer isn't really twice as fast either (faster yes,
but then I usually find something else to do -- read mail, go get
a snack, make a pit stop, etc. -- whenever I transfer a file of
more than a few K); I can think of better uses for the
money (more RAM for instance).

We have a few Apple's around that are connected at 9600 baud (that's
quick for sure, very nice, but most of the time not really any faster
than 4800 baud because Apple's software scrolling 80 col card can't
display characters at much more than that speed in any case.

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (01/09/88)

In article <8801062035.aa29520@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>I have the good fortune of having the use of a Univerity owned
>2400 baud modem on the Apple I have in my office along with a
>1200 baud modem at home.  Although our mainframe uses fullscreen
>editing (and a number of other processors), I haven't been enough
>impressed by the greater speed of 2400 baud to rush out and spend
>nearly $200 to replace my 1200 at home.  Sure 2400 is faster,
> [ ... ]

However, depending on how you end up using your 2400 baud modem makes
all the difference in the world.  For example, 2400 allows you to have
a full screen vi available.  1200 doesn't.  To many people, this is a
serious consideration.

Some people also simply find the output speed of 1200 too slow when
you are trying to display full page information on the screen.  But
again, that's a matter of preference.

I've found, however, that since I tend to do sporadic, but intense
long distance transfers or other work, the extra cost of a 2400 baud
modem will save me more than the extra cost of the modem in long
distance charge, in not so long of a time.

But in general, most people simply find that the extra speed improves
their productivity and just makes things that much easier.

your mileage may vary.

--
 ___________________________________________________________   o/`  o/`  o/`
| Robert J. Granvin      | INTERNET:      rjg@sialis.mn.org | The hills are
| 2701 West 43rd Street  | UUCP: ...ihnp4!meccts!sialis!rjg | alive, and they
| Minneapolis, MN  55410 |  ...uunet!rosevax!ems!sialis!rjg | ate my mother...

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/11/88)

On our system, full screen is available with a 1200 baud modem.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) (01/13/88)

Well, before you go spend $200 on a 2400 Baud modem, you may want to think
about holding off and getting the latest modem from US Robotics.  The
USR 9600 HST.  This modem is really I nice piece of hardware, and word is
that USR is looking on putting out a new set of ROMS for the modem soon that
allow it to go faster than 9600 Baud.

It uses a technique called Trellis Coded Modulation for the transmission of
data.  The modem has a built in buffer which takes a bit of wait time off
of your computer (especially if you run a BBS).  The modem supports automatic
fallback to lower baud rates, 300 and 1200 (Bell Standards), and 2400 (CCITT
standard).  Since 9600 has no standard yet (as far as CCITT is concerned),
US Robotics last year offered a sysop support program to try and get a lot of
their modems out in the field.  The modem was being sold to BBS System Operators
for $495 + Shipping ($505).  I just ordered one for my BBS on 12/31/87...the
last day for the offer.

You can get the modem from mail order houses for around $650-$700.  If you do
a fair amount of long distance calling of other BBS's (like I do) , you will
make up for the savings real quick.  Look at it this way...  Let's say you have
a 4000 Block Prodos File....(Some Apple II GS software is that length)

300 Baud......5+ Hours
1200 Baud.....1 1/2 Hours
2400 Baud.....3/4 hour
9600 Baud.....15 minutes

When you are paying for a long distance call during that time, you can see the
savings you end up with.  Look at a 250 Block file....(Average Apple II/e/c
file length)...

300 Baud......1 Hour
1200 Baud.....20 minutes
2400 Baud.....13 minutes
9600 Baud.....5 Minutes

These are all approximate or calculated times, but are pretty close....

As you can see if you do a lot of long distance data transfers it doesn't take
long to make your money back.

The USR HST 9600 is made for regular phone lines because it uses 9600 baud in
one direction and 300 baud in the other.  The reason for this is that most
BBS/System operations are interactive and 300 baud is for the most part, fast
enough since most people can only type that fast.  For High Speed Data transfer
type connections, this setup is great since the sending station can send at
9600 while ACK's or NAK's are sent at 300 in the return direction.

The reason USR did this is to reduce the amount of tone overlap, and line
noise while increasing data integrity and error occurrence.  The USR HST 9600
baud uses priority sending which determines which end of the
connection has the most data to send, and will flip/flop the 9600 baud lead
to that direction.

I have some files that explain the HST and it's technical aspects.  If people
would be interested in these, I could upload them to the net, or I could
just e-mail them to those who want it.  Or you can get the files yourself from
the US Robotis Run Ubu Run BBS at 312-982-5092.

Later -=> Dan Vachon <=-        !ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac