[comp.sys.apple] TAKES ALL SORTS!

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (01/06/88)

Big Mac as public domaing? No, I don't think so.  I had an interesting
experience with Big Mac and more specifically it's author.  A friend of mine
who does not use anything he does not own was given a "shareware" copy of Big
Mac. This person is a developer of new languages working under some large grant
s and has no need to pirate anything even if he was so inclined, which he isn't
.  We looked through the zeroxed docs for a price and an address to the payment
to.  Not finding either I posted an E-Mail message to the author on Compu-serve
You would have thought that I'd asked to rent his daughter. He ccalled me a thi
ef and a liar and then got rude. All long distance, of course. I wrote it off
as what happens when you use a public service and deleted the mail and trashed
the program.  The next time that I logged on their was a note from a "Mr"
Goodin telling me that the message about piracy was in the public interest and
that he had ressurected it for all to see.  My original message, asking for inf
o on buying the program was silicon history but I was not allowed to delete the
note calling me a thief.  I now use own ORCA/M  and refuse to use Merlin or
Compuserve.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/10/88)

1. I have had Big Mac from early on and as far as I can tell, it was NEVER
shareware.  glen Bredon, the real author, sells his software privately during
development, and then attempts to get a publisher to handle the software after
it is stable.  So IF you had a shareware copy, perhaps someone unknown to
you DID steal it and put their name, etc. on it.  Or perhaps I am way off base.

2. I have used CIS consistantly, daily, for 5 years.  I dont recall the
conversation that you referred to, but then, I dont read all the sections
on all the boards.  As for Shawn's intentions - regardless of how you felt
about the message, unless you deleted both your post and your reply I
can see keeping both on.  I wonder why you just didnt send the question in
easyplex/private mail, since this would have been more appropriate anyways.

3. Finally, I assume that you plan on quiting usenet the next time someone
challenges something that you say?  You seem to be quite sensitive.  i have
been falsely accused of things as well, but I try to make public apoligies
or explanations so that the hard feelings are dealt with rather than
ceasing use.

The primary reason that I use CIS is that it is the only consistent source
of software that is useful and usable.  Usenet apparently is considered small
time for most Apple users (see my election results on the issue of trying
to get a comp.binaries.apple for a sample of the apathy amount apple
owners here).  Bix is too expensive and will probably follow Byte's lead into
turning into primarily a IBM system.  Delphi was always too slow for me to use
and I cannot see getting yet another system (Genie) just to see if they have
anything of use to me.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/14/88)

Enough!  OK, I've gotten the word folks!  No posting of BIG MAC.  No posting
of *anything* I didn't write, unless I *know* it *PD*.  I'll e-mail
shareware.

Blech!

So, I've been busy.  Sorry I didn't let you all know sooner.  Since I
haven't found T.E.D. (which I have heard from reliable sources, may very
well not be PD *either*) I haven't done anything with it yet.

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET

In article <407@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>Usenet apparently is considered small
>time for most Apple users (see my election results on the issue of trying
>to get a comp.binaries.apple for a sample of the apathy amount apple
>owners here).

I'd be willing to get there are a *lot* of people who'd love to see that
group formed, but haven't gotten a clue about how to send e-mail.  When you
are on a group like comp.sources most of the people are quite familiar with
UN*X and mail, etc.  A lot of people on comp.sys.apple just read it to get
informed, partially, I suspect, because it's free.  Granted, I wish more
people were less apathetic and made some serious efforts to learn about
these things. . (Including *you* Grandma Nerd, as I noticed you were not in
the list of people who voted . . . And I know you know how to get to Mr.
Virden :-( )).

>Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
>674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>cbosgd!n8emr!lwv (UUCP) 	cbosgd!n8emr!lwv@PSUVAX1 (BITNET)

Sean Kamath.