[comp.sys.apple] Memory mgmt on a Mac II

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (01/14/88)

Andrea Chen <hplabsz!chenu@hplabs.hp.COM> writes:
>I'm having problems determining whether a Mac II is
>actually seeing all it's memory (it has only 1mg).

Well, this was the wrong bboard to ask this to, but since I ride both
sides of the Apple products fence, I'll try to help.  I've never seen
memory problems with stock 1 meg Mac IIs (especially my own), but if you
feel that you aren't getting the most out of memory, try this idea.
We had a problem with a Mac Plus recently where system seemed to want
about 700K all to itself (we were running System 4.2, Finder 6.0; if you
aren't you should switch immediately).  Turned out that the RAM cache,
a special software device available via the Control Panel under the
Apple menu was on, and was set for 512K of space.  On a 1 meg machine,
that's 512K that programs don't get for use.  I'd check for this problem
first.  If you find the RAM cache turned on, turn it off or reset it to
a small value (like 32K or something), reboot and try that big program
again that wouldn't run before.

If that isn't the problem, then try looking in your System Folder for any
INIT type startup files that could be taking up space on startup.  Moving
these files out of the System Folder will cause them not to be executed
upon boot.

If the problem persists, write me a personal note and describe your
configuration and problem in greater depth.

INTERNET: REWING%TRINCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU-------Richard A. Ewing, IV
Bitnet: REWING@TRINCC---------------Trinity College Mac/Apple ][ Consultant
Compu$erve: [76474,1732]---------Box 1520 Trinity College, Hartford, CT 06106
USENET: ...ihnp4!psuvax!trincc.bitnet!rewing----(203)-524-5152