[comp.sys.apple] The Finder is Not All

>Date:         Wed, 13 Jan 88 21:39:22 CST
>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@andrew.cmu.EDU>
>Subject:      Prodos 16 Environments

>Why is it necessary that the only interface between the user and ProDOS 16 is
>the Finder?

> [Much stuff describing what ought to be available--and is!--deleted]

The Finder is NOT the only interface between the user and ProDOS 16!

ProDOS 16 shells:

   APW (Apple Programmer's Workshop)
     available from APDA
       Apple Programmers and Developers Association
       290 S.W. 43rd St.
       Renton, WA 98055
       (206) 251-6548

   ECP 16 (Extended Command Processor, ProDOS 16 version)
     by Don Elton, Carolina System Software
     Shareware: $40?     (includes ECP 8, listed below)
        Carolina System Software
        2916-A Chatsworth Rd.
        Columbia, SC 29223
        [CompuServe: 72010,37]
        [BIX: delton]

ProDOS 8 shells that can launch ProDOS 16 applications:

   Davex
     by Dave Lyons, DAL Systems
     Shareware: $25
       DAL Systems
       P.O. Box 287
       North Liberty, IA 52317
       [CompuServe: 72177,3233]

   ECP 8 (Extended Command Processor)
     by Don Elton, Carolina System Software
     Shareware: $??
       (see address above)

There may be others that I don't know about.  I will refrain from comparing
these, since (being the author of one) I probably couldn't provide an
objective comparison.

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS