[comp.sys.apple] VT52 vs. VT100, a partial listing

LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET (01/11/88)

For those who want a list of VT codes, here's a list (taken from the
VT240 pocket reference.  The VT240 is a graphics and otherwise enhanced
VT100 - a nice terminal)

VT52            VT100           Function
----            -----           --------
<ESC>A          <CSI>nA         Cursor Up
<ESC>B          <CSI>nB         Cursor Down
<ESC>C          <CSI>nC         Cursur Right
<ESC>D          <CSI>nD         Cursor Left
<ESC>F                          Enter Graphics Mode (?huh?)
<ESC>G                          Exit Graphics Mode  (?huh?)
<ESC>H          <ESC>8          Cursor Home (Restore Cursor in VT100)
<ESC>I          <ESC>M          (Reverse Linefeed)
<ESC>J          <CSI>0J         Erase to End Of Screen
<ESC>K          <CSI>0K         Erase to EOL
<ESC>Ylc        <CSI>l;cH       Position Cursor at l,c
<ESC>Z       <CSI>c    <CSI>0c  Identify (VT100 can use all three codes)
<ESC>=          <ESC>=          Application Keypad
<ESC>>          <ESC>>          Numeric Keypad
<ESC><          <CSI>?2l        ANSI mode (VT100 is ANSI/VT52 mode)
<ESC><sp>       <CSI>?5i        Auto-print Mode
<ESC>_          <CSI>?4i        Exit Auto-print
<ESC>W          <CSI>5i         Printer Control
<ESC>X          <CSI>4i         Exit Printer Control
<ESC>]          <CSI>0i         Print Screen
<ESC>V          <CSI>?1i        Print Cursor Line

<ESC> is ASCII code $1B, Escape
<CSI> is DEC ASCII code $9B, Control Sequence Introduce, which can be
        represented by 7-bit ASCII as <ESC>[
<sp>  is a space
'l' and 'c' on VT52 are binary values representing the coordinates desired
                plus octal 37
'l' and 'c' on VT100 are ASCII numbers
the 0 before a character code in the VT100 codes is optional (<CSI>0i can be
        represented as <CSI>i)
the VT100 also has many more codes too numerous to post.  If you want a
complete list of VT100 codes, please send me e-mail.

On another note, the version of WordPerfect which supports the Clipboard is
v2.0

Les Barstow  aka  "Phoenix"
BITNET:     LMB7421@RITVAX
UUCP:       {psuvax1 rutgers}!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421
U.S. Snail: C.P.U.#2424 30 Lowenthal Drive, Rochester, NY 14623

hangetsu@cgdra.ucar.edu (Dan Baldwin) (01/11/88)

  Regarding VT100 emulation. My telecom package (ACSII EXPRESS) does not
support VT100 emulation. I have a VT100 at work and use XEDIT editor on
an IBM mainframe and EMACS or TPU on a VAX. MY problem is that ASCII
EXPRESS supports an ADM3A emulation (along with others), and for talking
to work from home on a IIgs, ADM3A is fine for XEDIT, terrible for EMACS
 and unusable for TPU, (is fine for VI on a SUN workstation from home).
 I cannot edit on the VAX from home and I must travel up to work instead.
I have spoken to all our SYSOPS and they cannot believe that VT100 emulation
 is such a mystery for APPLE II computers, and I tend to agree. IBM PC and
MACS have easy VT100 emulation programs. Kermit 380 supposedly has one
as well as a few others that have been spoken about, but they all seem
to come with too many caveats (ie ,'does not install easy,' or ' I cant
get it to work on my GS '). Why is APPLE II technology so far behind
IBM and MAC in this regard ? Do developers think we are a differnt type
of user (hobbiest vs serious )? I am frankly dissapointed about this
VT100 emulation issue. I love my GS and definitly would rather use it
than a dumb terminal for working at home. Can anyone one provide some

really clear evaluations of the VT100 emulators offered for the APPLEII
machines ?

                       Thanks ,
                      DAN

:wq!

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (01/12/88)

In article <1080@hao.ucar.edu> hangetsu@cgdra.ucar.edu (Dan Baldwin) writes:

>  Regarding VT100 emulation. My telecom package (ACSII EXPRESS) does not
>support VT100 emulation.

That's because AE stinks.

>... Kermit 380 supposedly has one
>as well as a few others that have been spoken about, but they all seem
>to come with too many caveats (ie ,'does not install easy,' or ' I cant
>get it to work on my GS '). Why is APPLE II technology so far behind
>IBM and MAC in this regard ? Do developers think we are a differnt type
>of user (hobbiest vs serious )?

I certainly don't. VT-100 emulation for Z-Link goes into development tonight.
I hope to have it working in a few days. Z-Link works on a GS, a //c and
possibly on an enhanced //e (nobody has told me if it works on their machine.
Speak up you people! I need to know!)

As far as the latest and greatest version of Z-Link, when I post the next
update, it'll have VT-100, and terminal setting Load/Save with a default file
automatically loaded at startup (I've already done this, and it works fine.)
Stay tuned...

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/14/88)

Since readers of this group decided that they didnt want comp.binaries.apple2,
do you suppose that you could post Z-Link to this group for the benefit of the
uucp folks who cannot get thru to the Apple2-L file server?  Thanks!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

patth@dasys1.UUCP (01/17/88)

In article <419@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> Since readers of this group decided that they didnt want comp.binaries.apple2,
> do you suppose that you could post Z-Link to this group for the benefit of the
> uucp folks who cannot get thru to the Apple2-L file server?  Thanks!

Oh, Oh -- me thinks we shall have a visit from the *net police*
shortly, Larry; I, too, wished to post programs, etc. here in
the comp.sys.apple newsgroup!  After all, if anyone is really
checking all the newsgroups it is done regularly in some of them:
no - I won't name them here - the *net police* can scan the other
newsgroups just as I do; however, if the other newsgroups are not
chastised for posting *LONG* files in exactly the same way that
I/we were chastised publicly for posting them here in comp.sys.apple,
then we'll have to decide whether to fight the system, sit back and
let the others get away with what we are forbidden to do, take it
up with the *net gods* or just encrypt the files and send them
anyway ;-)

Larry?  Are you getting as impatient as I am?

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510