[comp.sys.apple] 9600 baud modem

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/14/88)

 VachonD <codas!mtune!mtgzz!drutx!dvac@bikini.cis.ufl.EDU> writes:
>Well, before you go spend $200 on a 2400 Baud modem, you may want to think
>about holding off and getting the latest modem from US Robotics.  The
>USR 9600 HST.  This modem is really I nice piece of hardware, and word is
>that USR is looking on putting out a new set of ROMS for the modem soon that
>allow it to go faster than 9600 Baud.

Unless there is something new the problem with 9600 baud modems remains that
the ONLY modems you can talk to at 9600 are the SAME BRAND.  Unless you
regularly communicate with a mainframe that has a 9600 baud using the
IDENTICAL communications protocol (or several bbs's that have the same
modem), 9600 is hardly worth the cost.  On our campus we connect to the
mainframe at 9600 over dedicated lines - our computer center charges $650
for the service (includes hardware).  Once installed, all that's needed is
a serial port (even a SSC clone does nicely).

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) (01/19/88)

In article <8801141034.aa16146@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:

> Unless there is something new the problem with 9600 baud modems remains that
> the ONLY modems you can talk to at 9600 are the SAME BRAND.  Unless you
> regularly communicate with a mainframe that has a 9600 baud using the
> IDENTICAL communications protocol (or several bbs's that have the same
> modem), 9600 is hardly worth the cost.  On our campus we connect to the
> mainframe at 9600 over dedicated lines - our computer center charges $650
> for the service (includes hardware).  Once installed, all that's needed is
> a serial port (even a SSC clone does nicely).

True Murray.  The only other 9600 baud modems that the HST may communicate with
are other HST's.  But for most BBS operators (like myself), the $500 price
was real nice since Hayes is asking like $1200 for their 9600!  US Robotics
decided to make a low cost 9600 baud modem aimed at the BBS or data transfer
market.  The HST supplies a very low cost method of sending data at high
speeds!  If you want to hoop up to a mainframe at 9600 baud, you had better get
the hayes since most businesses/schools spent enough on the mainframe, another
$1200 for a modem is drop in the bucket!  But for me, I have been into BBS'ing
for about 6 years now, and have been running BBS's for about 5 years.  US
Robotics introduced a sysop support program for BBS Sysops which got their
HST into a lot of doors.  I would say that there are probably a few hundred
BBS's nationwide that are running on the HST now.  I know of about one to
two hundred that are Apple Based alone!

What it really comes down to is, what will you be using your modem for.  I use
mine to call some BBS's in California, New Mexico, New York, Minnesota, and
Pennsylvania to name a few.  When you are talking about long distance phone
charges, this modem pays for itself in no time!  The US Robotics is a 9600
baud Hobbyist's modem.  The Hayes is the businessman's modem.... I am no
business man when I am at home and on my BBS, so the HST was a great deal!

Later -=> Dan Vachon <=-   !ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac