[comp.sys.apple] The Zip Chip scam

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (01/15/88)

I sent good old Zip Technologies a check for $140 back in August and am fairly
confident that I will never get it back.  Sure I'm mad, but I still have to
give Zip Technologies credit for coming up with the perfect scam.

1)  They found the major weakness in the Apple: it's too damn slow.

2)  They came up with a "product" that would work in any Apple II, II+, IIe,
or //c, or in any of the Laser 128 or Franklin clones.  That's a BIG market.
It will work an any eight-bit machine and won't interfere with peripherals --
the major problem with Transwarp.

3)  They managed to demo a speeded up version of a //c at the Applefest.  My
theory is that they somehow installed a Transwarp or Speedemon card in the
//c.
4)  They have been and still are running a major ad campaign in Nibble
magazine.  People are likely to buy a product if they see an ad a few months
in a row rather than if they see it once and never hear of the product again.

5)  I ordered my Zip Chip in August.  In October, they sent me a full-color
flyer with an ad for the Zip Chip on one side and a letter saying that they
were simply "flooded with orders" and that there would be a six to eight-week
wait.  This way I wouldn't lose faith in the company, and I might recommend
others to buy a Zip Chip before the backlog gets too great.

Oh well.  There's a sucker born every minute.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22@cmuccvma

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/15/88)

RE: Transwarp

I assume you don't have one. There is no interference with peripherals. Dip
switches on the card allow any peripherals that need to operate at 1 Mhz to do   so. If that was your reason for not buying a Transwarp (discount prices are
close to the $140 you report you paid for the vapor-chip), more investigation
would have been cost-effective.
****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) (01/19/88)

In article <8801150020.AA17848@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> RE: Transwarp
>
> I assume you don't have one. There is no interference with peripherals. Dip
> switches on the card allow any peripherals that need to operate at 1 Mhz to do   so. If that was your reason for not buying a Transwarp (discount prices are
> close to the $140 you report you paid for the vapor-chip), more investigation
> would have been cost-effective.

Sorry Bruce....Not so.... I have a friend who runs a BBS with both a TimeMaster
and Transwarp.  The problems is that these two cards can not live off the same
bus together.  With both cards installed he gets I/O errors on his Hard Drive
and funny things happen like hanging.  If he takes one card or the other out,
it functions fine....  So now he has one of these two cards just sitting on the
table collecting dust and all AE told him to do was to try all his cards in a
different computer.  Yeah!  No problem!  Everyone has an extra Apple in the
closet.  Not everyone has a couple Apples that they can do this with.  I think
AE has a definite problem here with the Apple Bus, but have no idea how to
combat the problem.

Later -Dan Vachon-     !ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac

god3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Peter Godwin) (01/20/88)

>Dan Vachon writes:
> Sorry Bruce....Not so.... I have a friend who runs a BBS with both a TimeMaster
> and Transwarp.  The problems is that these two cards can not live off the same
> bus together.  With both cards installed he gets I/O errors on his Hard Drive
> and funny things happen like hanging.  If he takes one card or the other out,
> it functions fine....  So now he has one of these two cards just sitting on the
> table collecting dust and all AE told him to do was to try all his cards in a
> different computer.  Yeah!  No problem!  Everyone has an extra Apple in the
> closet.  Not everyone has a couple Apples that they can do this with.  I think

Dan, I have both a TimeMaster H.O. and a Transwarp accelerator installed
in my computer.  I also have a modem hooked up via Super=Serial Card,
a CP/M card (Applied Engineerings), a duo-disk, and a hard drive installed.

I ALSO have a new power supply (Applied Engineerings) which ran about 50-60
dollars.  I suspect THIS is the problem.  Apple's low-power power supply
just can't handle the Transwarp.

I was having the same problem as you describe and others.  The people at
AE mentioned that because I have so many peripherals in my machine,
the power drain was to great.

Now you don't have to buy Applied Engineerings power supply.  Other
manufacturers make 5+ watt power supplies.  But AE's is excellent and
extremely easy to install.

--
Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      god3@sphinx.uchicago

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/20/88)

I've never had a Applied Engineering TimeMaster II H.O. in the same ][e as
a Transwarp. Consequently, can't comment.

What does A.E. say about it?

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (01/21/88)

In article <6495@drutx.ATT.COM> dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) writes:
>Sorry Bruce....Not so.... I have a friend who runs a BBS with both a TimeMaster
>and Transwarp.  The problems is that these two cards can not live off the same
>bus together.  With both cards installed he gets I/O errors on his Hard Drive
>and funny things happen like hanging.  If he takes one card or the other out,
>it functions fine....

If his empty slots are few and/or his boards are power hogs, it may be
that your friend is having a marginal power supply problem.  Age and heat
are two other variable factors that can contribute to the wierd symptoms.
When I was involved with this, it seemed that a marginal power supply
created enough noise (?) to prevent running at the faster rate, but was
ok with the 1 mhz rate (even with identical power consumptions).

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {codas,usfvax2}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981