[comp.sys.apple] Transwarp and TimeMaster

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (01/20/88)

In article <6495@drutx.ATT.COM> dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) writes:
>In article <8801150020.AA17848@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
>> RE: Transwarp
>>
>> I assume you don't have one. There is no interference with peripherals. Dip
>> switches on the card allow any peripherals that need to operate at 1 Mhz.
>
>Sorry Bruce....Not so.... I have a friend who runs a BBS with both a TimeMaster
>and Transwarp.  The problems is that these two cards can not live off the same
>bus together.  With both cards installed he gets I/O errors on his Hard Drive
>and funny things happen like hanging.  If he takes one card or the other out,
>it functions fine....
>Later -Dan Vachon-     !ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac

Maybe your friend doesn't have a good enought power supply to support all these
cards.  Does he have something other than these three.  He must have a com card.

					Scott

Scott Kempf                          Blue itself teaches us blue.  -Bill Ranson
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (01/20/88)

My TRANSWARP User's Manual, v1.1, states that clock cards generally need a
1 MHz timing signal (in contrast to the 3.6 MHz provided by TRANSWARP). This
is accomplished in the presence of a A.E. TRANSWARP card by setting the
TRANSWARP cards Block 2 switch for the clock card's slot to OPEN. A cooling
fan is also advised because of the power drawn by TRANSWARP. I did observe in
one ][e that the original Apple power supply could not support the TRANSWARP
and a A.E. RamWorks card. An A.E. replacement power supply (double the
capacity of the original power supply) solved the problem.

However, I have no hard disks connect to my Apple ][x, and have never had a
clock card and a TRANSWARP in the same ][e.

--
  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |

craig@lakesys.UUCP (Craig Stodolenak) (01/21/88)

A friend of mine is running a BBS on his Transwarped IIe.  In it he has a
ThunderClock, 5MB Apple ProFile, and Novation Apple-Cat II modem (212 card not
in "slot-saver" mode, as he also has an AE power supply and the Cat just
doesn't seem to run correctly that way).

He also has been experiencing sporadic errors, lock-ups, file errors on the HD,
etc.  When he called a local dealer, they told him to get the AE power supply,
which he did.  He STILL experiences them, on the average of two per week.

His bus is "full", with an enhanced 80-col card, parallel printer card, and
floppy controller rounding things out.  Heat doesn't prove to be a problem,
although he has put in a fan "just to be sure".

Apparently now, he isn't the only person to be experiencing these problems.
Just what is going on?  Is it a traffic-jam on the bus?  Something wrong
with the Transwarp?  A lot of questions and few answers... hopefully something
can be done.

Craig Stodolenak
{ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!craig

buyse@convexe.UUCP (01/21/88)

In my experiences, those Cats are trouble.  I owned one for awhile, and
it was so frustrating that I finally sold it.

The BBS operator for whom I was a consultant had the 212 version, and he
had constant problems with it.  The only thing I could recommend is
pulling the cards out and trying to add them back in one by one (old
fashioned, but predictable).

He may also still have a heat problem despite the fan.  Accelerators run
hot as the dickens-- try popping the top off the computer and running it
that way for awhile.  Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation
around it.

-Russell Buyse.
...convex!buyse