[comp.sys.apple] SOFTERM

schlichting@NUSC.ARPA ("SCHLICHTING C.L.") (01/15/87)

Can anyone tell me howe to download files from a Vax to an Apple IIE using Softerm? Thanks C. Schlichting    Schlichting @NUSC.ARPA
------

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/22/88)

 "Bruce P. Halpern" <halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.EDU> writes:
>The Softerm II manual indicates that it can be set for speeds between 50 baud
>and 9600 baud. No being one of you speedy folks myself, I can't vouch for it.
>
>Softerm II works on ][x, where x = nothing, +, e, or c.

I've used SOFTERM on a ][+, //e, and //c.  On a //e, I've used it at
300, 1200, 2400, 4800, and 9600 baud.  The only problem I've had is
that our mainframe's communications software isn't prepared to believe
anyone can type 960 characters a second (it's buffer overflows during
uploads).  SOFTERM's error checking protocol catches the problem and
resends the packets, but our poor host has so much trouble that the
total transfer time is reduced by using SOFTERM's "SPEED" command (which
sends the characters at a lower rate than the line speed) to slow down
to the equivalent of 4800 baud.

In 1983 (when I first purchased the program) it was worth every bit of
the (then) $150 purchase price.  It still has every "bell & whistle"
you could ever want (except it doesn't recognize 3.5 inch disks, hard
drives, or RAM cards), but newer software at MUCH lower cost (Kermit,
TIC) adequately meets the need.  Alas, Softronics' marketing skill
(and general business acumen from from what I can tell) doesn't
approach the level of their programming ability.  They've failed to
keep the program current with latest hardware, and their prices
have long since ceased to be competitive.  They used to run large
ads in A+, now they (apparently) only can afford little bitty ones.
Too bad; I hate to see folks squander opportunity like that.

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut