[comp.sys.apple] ][+/e extended memory access

dennis@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Dennis Dale) (01/21/88)

I own a ][+ system with an extended memory board (128K Saturn) in it.
I find that the newer programs requiring more than the on-board 64K
of memory do not recognize this type of memory board.  They seem to
require the memory access provided by the 'weird' slot 3 on a ][e.
Does anyone know how to make the necessary hardware 'hacks' to my board
to make it compatable?  I wouldn't mind making major modifications
to either my Saturn board or my mother board to make it work.  I could
be wrong, but it seems like the Applied Engineering people made it
work with their Ramfactor board, it must be somehow do-able.  I don't
need double-hires graphics or an 80 column board right now, just the
compatable memory.
Dennis Dale
AT&T Bell Laboratories - Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihlpf!dennis
--
Dennis Dale
AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville, IL

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (01/22/88)

I believe that a Titan/Saturn card's memory  is fundamentally different from the
Applied Engineering RamFactor card that can work in any slot. A.E.'s
RamFactor card is, I believe similar to the Apple memory expansion
cards.

If you want to run AppleWorks in your ][+, your Saturn 128K card can be
put to use with Plus Works II (Norwich Data Services, Ltd., P.O. Box
356, East Norwich NY 11732-0356. tel: 516-922-9584 and 210-679-0594).

--
  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |

kamath@reed.UUCP (01/24/88)

In article <3456@ihlpf.ATT.COM> dennis@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Dennis Dale) writes:
>I own a ][+ system with an extended memory board (128K Saturn) in it.
>I find that the newer programs requiring more than the on-board 64K
>of memory do not recognize this type of memory board.  They seem to
>require the memory access provided by the 'weird' slot 3 on a ][e.
>Does anyone know how to make the necessary hardware 'hacks' to my board
>to make it compatable?  I wouldn't mind making major modifications
>to either my Saturn board or my mother board to make it work.

It would take *MAJOR* mods to do it.  Like, redo the motherboard.

>I could be wrong, but it seems like the Applied Engineering people made it
>work with their Ramfactor board, it must be somehow do-able.  I don't
>need double-hires graphics or an 80 column board right now, just the
>compatable memory.

What the Ramfactor (and Apple's board) do is they serial bytes to the
extended memory, much like a serial card.  The Saturn is a bank switched
memory card, much like the aux card on the //e.  Thus, even though they do
the same thing as the //e-only cards, they do it quite differently.  Since
the RamFactor has it's own ROM to do the serialing, programs that use that
method don't recognize it either.  I know it sounds like you in a bind, and
you are. I hope you can work something out.  Maybe sell the Saturn and get a
RamFactor.

>Dennis Dale
>(ihnp4!ihobp!dennis)

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET