[comp.sys.apple] Posting large files

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/24/88)

 David Whitney <whitney@think.COM> writes:
>Subject:      Re: Posting Z-Link
>Sure, as long as nobody minds a file of roughly 30k being posted.

We've been through this before.  You'll find that there will be LOTS of
gripes about files over 8K or so.  That's why Chris Chung was kind
enough to talk Brown's computer center into setting aside some disk
space for APPLE2-L.

APPLE2-L may not be perfect, but it exists.  Larry Virden's effort
to get comp.binaries.apple together didn't attract enough favorable
interest (sorry, but that's about the size of it).

A big problem with APPLE2-L is that many USENET sites don't seem to
be able to supply a valid (upper case) address that will work from
bitnet (yes, I know UUCP uses lower case addresses; in order for a
robot <LISTSERV> to reach sush an address, it needs to be known to
a gateway <such as PSUVAX1> that will translate from upper to lower
case).  The problem could be dealt with if one (or more) UUCP sites
would agree to redistribute APPLE2-L posts (archive would be even
nicer, but redistribute doesn't require very much disk space).
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been done already.
There already is one UUCP site redistributing to addresses at 3 or
4 other sites (in self defense, he was processing 4 copies of every
post).  It's not a backbone site, and I wouldn't volunteer his system
for him (so he shall remain nameless lest he be bombarded with
requests).

Disclaimer: My employer often is appalled by my opinions, and
            my facts may be only vaguely right <slippery when wet>.

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut