[comp.sys.apple] GS doc availability

>Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 88 15:46:03 +0200
>From:         NEY6%HBUNOS.BITNET@CNUCE-VM.arpa
>Subject:      GS REF MAN

>                                            _        _
>*IS* IIgs Firmware Reference out already?? |X| Yes  |_| No (please check)
>                                 _
>How many volumes are there??    |X| 1
>                                 _
>                                |_| 2

Let me qualify that first answer:  Yes, I saw the Addison-Wesley version of
the IIgs Firmware Reference in a local bookstore (and the ProDOS 16 reference,
too).  The Firmware reference is just one volume.

NOTE that the Toolbox reference (TWO VOLUMES) is *not* out from Addison-Wesley
yet, as far as I know.  The second Beta draft is available from APDA.

ANOTHER note to anyone who doesn't want to buy any "Beta" stuff:  I have the
second beta draft of the Toolbox reference.  Taken *with* technical notes
(avilable from APDA, CompuServe, etc.) and with System Disk release notes
(available from APDA or by licensing the system disk from Apple for $75/yr),
this is the best material available.

You can call the Beta drafts "incomplete", and they are.  However I do not
see how any hardcover stuff could be more complete, and other books (such
as Fischer's book) are *not* *adequate* for doing any serious work, and they
are much *less* complete and contain *more* errors than the APDA drafts.

The days of being able to buy documentation & use it for years are *gone* in
the IIgs world.  The system keeps changing and improving, and anybody who
doesn't keep up with technical notes & system disk release notes will be
left in the dust.

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS