[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIe ROMs and VisiCalc

tjt@nucleus.UUCP (Tim Thomas) (01/27/88)

A friend of mine recently installed some new ROMS in his Apple IIe
to support a mouse.  However, when he tries to run VisiCalc all
inverse fields become garbage and unreadable.

Does anybody know of this problem?  And, if so, are there any patches
to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (01/28/88)

In article <180@nucleus.UUCP> tjt@nucleus.UUCP (Tim Thomas) writes:

>A friend of mine recently installed some new ROMS in his Apple IIe
>to support a mouse.  However, when he tries to run VisiCalc all
>inverse fields become garbage and unreadable.

The "problem" is that the "garbage and unreadable" stuff is really MouseText.

There's no way to get around it, as far as I know.

There's a question I'd like to ask the public out there though (actually
two questions):

What is Apple2-L and how do I become a member of it or get on it or whatever?

Also, how can I do INVERSE, FLASH, -AND- MouseText on my //GS? It seems that
ProTERM, which wants inverse, works fine...But my old Dos 3.3 AppleWriter
turns most of the inverse into MouseText....Please explain.

binder@fizbin.DEC.COM (A glotoun of wordes) (01/31/88)

From pyramid!fmsrl7!nucleus!tjt@hplabs.hp.COM (Tim Thomas):

> A friend of mine recently installed some new ROMS in his Apple IIe
> to support a mouse.  However, when he tries to run VisiCalc all
> inverse fields become garbage and unreadable.

I just made the same upgrade.  The Apple //e Enhancement Kit comes with a
User's Guide that explains the features of the upgrade.  It spells out
your friend's problem quite clearly on page 11:

(The following material is reproduced without permission.)

    Check Your Software

    [paragraph deleted]

    Of the few programs that are affected by the IIe enhancement, most are
    only superficially affected: in some programs, highlighted uppercase
    characters are displayed as pictorial characters instead.  Here's why:
    The original character generator ROM had two identical sets of
    highlighted upercase characters.  The enhanced character generator ROM
    has only one set of highlighted uppercase characters, and replaces the
    other set with pictorial characters [the Mousetext characters].  Hence,
    programs that used the other set of highlighted uppercase characters
    now display pictorial characters in their place.

VisiCalc is an *old* program, not even intended to run on a //e - if it
were a //e program, it would have 80-column provision.  It uses the second
set of inverse characters, and so far as I know there is no easy patch or
fix for the problem.  There is a rather cute hardware kluge that can be
installed if your friend is handy with a soldering iron.

For what it's worth: if your friend is not aware of this design change,
either he didn't read the documentation supplied with the upgrade kit or
he is in possession of illegal copies of Apple's copyrighted ROMs.

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

DEC Easynet:	FIZBIN::BINDER
uucp:		{ decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!fizbin.dec.com!binder
Internet:	binder%fizbin.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/31/88)

In article <1759@saturn.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <180@nucleus.UUCP> tjt@nucleus.UUCP (Tim Thomas) writes:
>>
>>A friend of mine recently installed some new ROMS in his Apple IIe
>>to support a mouse.  However, when he tries to run VisiCalc all
>>inverse fields become garbage and unreadable.
>
>The "problem" is that the "garbage and unreadable" stuff is really MouseText.
>
>There's no way to get around it, as far as I know.

Two ways:  One: Replace the display ROM with the original.  That will
remove mousetext forever. . .
Two:  Hack to program (like I did to AppleWriter II) and find it's
character output routine, and change it to switch C00E, or map the
output char to the right place.

/* mousetext */

You can use it on a //e, as long as it's upgraded.  Basically, you turn
on the 80 column card (either 40 or 80), inverse, and print chr$(27) (ESC).
Viola, mousetext.  To stop mousetext, ?chr$(24) (^X).

Note that all this display switching can do interesting things...Such as
flashing 80 column uppercase, which they said couldn't be done. . .
How?
pr#3
?chr$(27)
inverse
call -151
c00e:00
0l

the last, 0l, is to get some uppercase stuff on the screen.

C00E and C00F control which set to use. Ted, I don't understand.  The
new //e tech ref does have mousetext info in it.   I can't give you
exact pages, as I left the manual at the school ski cabin, but the //c
manual has it on page 83, in the Vidoe Display Output section.  Look
there. If it isn't there somewhere (maybe under Text Modes?), then you
probably have a pre-enhanced //e ref manual.  As far as I know, the only
//e manuals that aren't about the enhanced //e are in the old style
striped cover, not the white books.

>Also, how can I do INVERSE, FLASH, -AND- MouseText on my //GS? It seems that
>ProTERM, which wants inverse, works fine...But my old Dos 3.3 AppleWriter
>turns most of the inverse into MouseText....Please explain.

You can't get Flash *and* Mousetext. See above how for the procedure.

I have got a fairly hacked version of AppleWriter, which I think I would
be willing to dig up (the sources that is) and send a patch out to fix
this bug.

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET