[comp.sys.apple] For Sale Notices & Other Questionable Actions

dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") (01/27/88)

I have commented before that I think it is unfair to a national net
to post "For Sale" notices which must essentially always be aimed at
a local audience via a BBS in the poster's home area.  I think that
the offer today to sell an older version of MouseTalk because the
holder got the upgrade without turning in the original sales slip is
even more borderline.  What's the difference between that and making
an illegal copy  and selling it?

I  will probably get nastigrams for this, but some issues ought to
be clear enough to the beholder that the net should never have to
suffer them.

Henry Dowst
GEnie:  Dowst

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/31/88)

In article <880126185424.11aa@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV> dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") writes:
>I have commented before that I think it is unfair to a national net
>to post "For Sale" notices which must essentially always be aimed at
>a local audience via a BBS in the poster's home area.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I post, I have the
option of specifying a "Distribution" site, i.e. world, usa, regional (I
think.  I.e. for me, "or") and local, for just this site.  Let's learn
to use it folks.

>The offer today to sell an older version of MouseTalk because the
>holder got the upgrade without turning in the original sales slip is
>even more borderline.  What's the difference between that and making
>an illegal copy  and selling it?

Well, I don't know abot you, but I could sell Merlin Pro (pre enhanced
screen driver, etc) legally, as I own it.  I can give the sales receipt
as well, as RWP asks for the first page in the manual to upgrade. . .
Not that RWP would honor any upgrade or warrenty or tech suppost service
on it, but I can sure as hell sell it, if I bought it!  I can't sell it
if I didn't buy it, however.

>I  will probably get nastigrams for this, but some issues ought to
>be clear enough to the beholder that the net should never have to
>suffer them.

True enough. I hope this point is not beat to death by the net.gods.

>Henry Dowst

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET