[comp.sys.apple] Info-Apple?

g-mccann@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Lester I. McCann) (02/02/88)

I haven't received any messages from info-apple for several days now.  Anyone
know if there's a problem at that end?

I sent the following info the info-apple last week, but it hasn't appeared
yet, so I'll repeat it now.  I called The Byte Works and learned that they
will be offering (via a mailing) the ORCA/Desktop *and* version 1.2 of
ORCA/Pascal to registered owners of ORCA/Pascal for the price of $25.  You
can order now by phone if you'd like, but the Desktop apparently won't be
ready until later this week or next week (the packaging is slow in arriving,
I was told).

Lester McCann
mccann@primost.cs.wisc.edu

abc@brl-adm.ARPA (Brint Cooper) (02/03/88)

In article <1313@gumby.cs.wisc.edu> g-mccann@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Lester I. McCann) writes:
>I haven't received any messages from info-apple for several days now.  Anyone
>know if there's a problem at that end?

	Unfortunately, there's serious trouble at this end.  Host
smoke.brl.mil, a Gould 9050, has been down since late Friday when  a
power supply failed.  It turned out that no replacements were available
in the mid-Atlantic area.  When that was finally repaired and the system
brought up this afternoon, the disk that serves 3/4 of the users was
found dead.  Also, the system itself wouldn't stay up.  (I'm sending this
from another BRL host that gets UseNet News.)

	Expect more of this, boys and girls.  The watchword in the
government today is "budget deficit."  To that end, we absolutely are
forbidden from running building air conditioning, even when to do so
would lower the load on purchased-from-lowest-bidder computer room air
conditioners which, of course, protect millions of dollars of computer
equipment from damage.  It's pennywise and pound foolish.  It's what our
leaders perceive that their constituents want.  You see the result.

	Anyhow, pass the word that brl-smoke.arpa may not be functional
for another day or two.  Try to hold off your postings if possible for
the good of us all.  No doubt, I'll have a mailbox-full when I finally
can get to it.

	Cheers,

_Brint Cooper
<info-apple-request@brl.arpa>