[comp.sys.apple] Imagewriter LQ

dsk@mtgzy.UUCP (XMRN10000[fsm]-d.s.klett) (02/09/88)

I am in the market for a new printer and the IW LQ would seem to be one to
consider.  But I cannot find a dealer (shore area of NJ) that has a demo
model.  Plus I have not seen any reviews of the unit.  I know that APDA has
a preliminary reference manual available.  I called Apple customer relations
in CA and the word was that dealer models were shipped during December.  Has
anyone seen or bought an LQ?  Is it that much better that the IW II?  Does
it have the parallel and serial interfaces?  Any data would be much
appreciated.  Thanks.

Don Klett
(201)957-5652
...!mtgzy!dsk

burns@hsi.UUCP (Jeff Burns) (02/12/88)

In article <3151@mtgzy.UUCP>, dsk@mtgzy.UUCP (XMRN10000[fsm]-d.s.klett) writes:

> I am in the market for a new printer and the IW LQ would seem to be one to
> consider.  But I cannot find a dealer (shore area of NJ) that has a demo
> model.  Plus I have not seen any reviews of the unit.  I know that APDA has
> a preliminary reference manual available.  I called Apple customer relations
> in CA and the word was that dealer models were shipped during December.  Has
> anyone seen or bought an LQ?  Is it that much better that the IW II?  Does
> it have the parallel and serial interfaces?  Any data would be much
> appreciated.  Thanks.

I recently read that the IW LQ is made by Toshiba and due to USA's threatened
embargo, Apple decided to assemble the LQ domestically.  This delayed its
introduction by several months.

The local ComputerLand says they've sold a few, but haven't demoed it yet.

A programmer friend of mine has one at Layered Software in Boston.
He says they aren't impressed with it (but he's spoiled by his laserwriter).

I am still interested in seeing it produce color graphics.  27 pins should
offer acceptable resolution.

Anyone have any experience with other color printers, such as the
HP PaintJet, Calcomp Plotmaster, or Xerox 4020 on a Mac?  I need a printer
for color overhead transparencies that will work with Cricket Graph, MacDraw
and SuperPaint.

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (02/12/88)

To:           Bob Church <CS656@OUACCVMB>
Don Klett writes
>I am in the market for a new printer and the IW LQ would seem to be one to
>consider.  But I cannot find a dealer (shore area of NJ) that has a demo
>model.  Plus I have not seen any reviews of the unit.  I know that APDA has
>a preliminary reference manual available.  I called Apple customer relations
>in CA and the word was that dealer models were shipped during December.  Has
>anyone seen or bought an LQ?  Is it that much better that the IW II?  Does
>it have the parallel and serial interfaces.
I bought an LQ three weeks ago and have it hooked to my //c. It's a beautiful
machine in performance and styling.  I know it sounds stupid to mention the loo
ks of the printer but when you see one you'll understand.  It has a serial port
and an Appletalk port. The only modification that is necessary to run it on the
//C,E + is to change two dip settings to set the baud rate to 9600 instead of
19200.  Ribbons are expensive at $18.00 for black and $25.00 for color but
hopefully will come down. It has Draft, NLQ and LQ printing. At LQ the print lo
oks as if it was done on a good typewriter with a new ribbon. That is at 115
cps.  It has several paper feed options. I started using the bottom-feed pull
tractor combination and haven't lost a print run yet. One word of caution. the
ribbon is a strange contraption being 20  inches long and stationary. Beware
Thunderscanner owners! I can't really say much in the way of comparison with
the imagewriter II as my last printer was a Star SG10.  Graphic printing is nic
e but noone has Apple // drivers for it yet so it is only using 6 or 9 pins
instead of the 27. It still gives very nice quality but several software
publishers have assured me that when they get the drivers written they will
amazing.  As it is I just tell my software that it's an IW II.  Apple sent
zero software for the // but three disks of fonts for the Mac.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (02/14/88)

The Mac fonts that Apple sent should all be useable with Timeout Superfonts.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:rochester!cornell!batcomputer!halp                               |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |