[comp.sys.apple] Fantavision "movies"

nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (02/11/88)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hi all...  this is an appeal to all of you Fantavision users out there...
I have made a few short little movies/animations using Fantavision and
it struck me that i would lke to see what other people have done...
so if you have anny animations, i would love to see them and possibly
(probably if there is enough response) compile them all into one
executioner file for distribution...  thanks....
-paul

 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              | ihnp4!think\   nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6263 || 7110     |                                         __|

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (02/11/88)

In article <4037@husc6.harvard.edu> nakada@husc7.UUCP (Paul Nakada) writes:
>Hi all...  this is an appeal to all of you Fantavision users out there...
>I have made a few short little movies/animations using Fantavision and
>it struck me that i would lke to see what other people have done...
>so if you have anny animations, i would love to see them and possibly
>(probably if there is enough response) compile them all into one
>executioner file for distribution...  thanks....

I own Fantavision GS. It's a great program for animation!  But I am not too
familiar with the file compression programs which are used by the people
on this newsgroup.

Basically, what is Blu? What is the Executioner? And how can I get access
to these utilities.

Thank you for any help provided...

ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
                                             Box #204
                                             3400 N. Maryland Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI 53201
UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl    ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

In article <4535@uwmcsd1.UUCP> aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:
>Basically, what is Blu? What is the Executioner? And how can I get access
>to these utilities.

I don't know what Executioner is, but I presume it's a program that packs
disks...Blu is a program like that too, but it packs many FILES into ONE
FILE...

However, the most widely used Packer that I know of is DDD, which stands for
Dalton's Disk Disintegrator....Recently, there has been a new revision of
it put out that is in ProDOS...It's called DDDPro, and will pack any type
of disk (3.5,5.25, I also presume something like a Ramdisk if you WANTED
to)...

You should be able to get it on any local Apple bulletin board which has
transfers...Almost ANYONE that does up/downloading in the Apple world as
a hobbyist probably knows what it is and where you could get it. Just look
around...

:
:I don't know what Executioner is, but I presume it's a program that packs
:disks...Blu is a program like that too, but it packs many FILES into ONE
:FILE...
:
:However, the most widely used Packer that I know of is DDD, which stands for
:Dalton's Disk Disintegrator....Recently, there has been a new revision of
:it put out that is in ProDOS...It's called DDDPro, and will pack any type
:of disk (3.5,5.25, I also presume something like a Ramdisk if you WANTED
:to)...
:
:You should be able to get it on any local Apple bulletin board which has
:transfers...Almost ANYONE that does up/downloading in the Apple world as
:a hobbyist probably knows what it is and where you could get it. Just look
:around...

Executioner is not a program like DDD...  it converts (and maybe packs)
prodos files into prodos textfiles which can be 'exec'ed to produce
the original file (filetype included)... it is primarily used for
micro -> mini/mainframe and mini/mainframe -> micro...   DDD on the other
hand packs whole disks into binary files for transfer between two
apples...  now for a question...  anyone know of any legitimate use
of DDD??  are there really any Apple pds BBS's out there?
-paul

 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              | ihnp4!think\   nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6263 || 7110     |                                         __|

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/14/88)

1. I wish I knew of a 'local Apple bbs that permits transfers'; most of the
apple boards locally have bitten the dust.  Usenet and CIS are the only
sources of new public domain software that I am aware of.

2. Executioner is a compression into text program by Glen Bredon, author
of Merlin, Pro-Commander, ProSel, Crypt, etc.  Basically it takes a prodos
file, encodes it's file attributes and contents into a short machine language
decompression exec and series of text data lines.  One then exec's the
resulting file and in turn gets a prodos file on their disk.

Note that it works well in conjunction with BLU, which is a program similar
in concept to the IBM arc command.  Prodos or DOS files and their file
attributes are archived togeter.  The current generation of BLU allows
Hoffman(Huffman?) compression.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817