[comp.sys.apple] HELP Please IIc Modem Cable Pinouts

gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) (02/01/88)

Can someone please show me the pinouts of the connector on the back
of the Apple IIc. It is a 5 pin din plug (female) that I wish to plug
my Hayes Modem into. I want to build the cable (I have the parts) but
do not know the pinout details (and it is not in the manuals that I got
with the unit UUGH!) I need this information ASAP

Thanx
Mitch

! Mitch Wood @ FEDERAL EXPRESS Memphis, TN   | Fill in the .signature         !
! ..!gatech!emcard!fedeva!gmw8868            | "____________________________" !

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (02/02/88)

Pin-outs for the Apple ][c, and lots more, are available in the
_Apple ][c Technical Manual_. I'm not at mine just now. Original
two volume version was published by Apple. More recent one volume
(thicker) version, cira 1985, is from Addison-Wesley. It's
possible that there is a post-1985 one.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                  |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |
--

danr@crash.cts.com (Dan Rubesh) (02/09/88)

In article <256@fedeva.UUCP> gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) writes:

>Can someone please show me the pinouts of the connector on the back
>of the Apple IIc.

             (Balance of original posting omitted)

         Wiring diagram for Apple IIc modem cable

             IIc 5 pin DIN                     DB25 connector

                ____________________________ pin 6 (DB25) DSR
               /
            5 /           1 ________________ pin 20 (DSB25) DTR
            o/            o/
         4----o         o----2
              |    o    |
              |    3    |___________________ pin 2 (DB25) Transmit
              |    |
              |    |________________________ pin7 (DB25) signal ground

              |_____________________________ pin 3 (DB25) Recieve

IIc pin assignments:

1. Data Terminal Ready Output
2. Transmit Data Output
3. Power and signal common
4. Read Data Input
5. Data Set Ready Input

This is a diagram of the cable that's on my IIc with an Avatex 1200hc modem,
and has worked with any Hayes compatible that I've plugged it into so far..

The usual disclaimer of things electronic applies.. If it makes smoke, I
never heard of you!!  %^)

--
|==========================================================================|
| UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!danr                  |

DGR0093@RITVAX.BITNET (02/14/88)

Here are the IIc port pinouts.

//c Pin   RS-232 Pin   Sig. Name   Description
   1          20          DTR      Data terminal ready (output)
   2           2          TXD      Transmit data (output)
   3           7          GND      Power and signal ground
   4           3          RXD      Recieve data (input)
   5           6          DSR      Data set ready (input)

Since a number of RS-232 pins have no //c equivalents, this disables some
of the features of the connection. However, it's easy to write software
to get around this. Good luck.

Dave Rutherford | In mortal combat with
DGR0093@RITVAXA | four-line signatures!