[comp.sys.apple] Apple //e Communications package

consult2@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (consultants) (02/24/88)

Greetings, fellow Apple users.

I have an unenhanced Apple //e with 1200 baud modem that I use mainly
for communications.  My communications (serial) board is the Alphabits
card from Street Electronics.  This card is supposed to emulate the
serial port on the //c.  I currently use ASCII Express Pro (I'm not sure
of the version number, but I got it quite a few years ago) and Kermit
V3.79 when I need vt100 emulation.  Kermit works fine when I dial up
an IBM system with a 7171 front end, but on any system where scrolling
is done (i.e. VMS or Un*x) some characters are lost.  Also, the vt100
emulation on Kermit is not complete - it doesn't work too well with EDT
on VMS.

Are the new versions of Kermit any better?  v 3.79 is quite buggy.  Are
there new versions of AE Pro with vt100 emulation, or at least better
macros?  I also have a CP/M card, so if you know of any CP/M terminal
programs...

Thanks in advance.

Student Consulting                         |   Steve Wechsler
State University of New York At Binghamton |   TJW0999@Bingtjw.bitnet
(Nice weather we're having, eh?)           |   VY1293@Bingvaxa.bitnet

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000) (02/24/88)

In article <840@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consult2@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (consultants) writes:
>Greetings, fellow Apple users.
>
>Are the new versions of Kermit any better?  v 3.79 is quite buggy.  Are
>there new versions of AE Pro with vt100 emulation, or at least better
>macros?  I also have a CP/M card, so if you know of any CP/M terminal
>programs...
>
>Thanks in advance.

I have never used Kermit, but I used to use Ascii Express The Professional,
which was version 4.2 I believe. The ProDOS version is only 4.3, and that
was the last ever made, I believe. They will make no more [this is just an
educated guess] because they're into "Ascii Express: MouseTalk" now.

But if you want a VERY good terminal program, get ProTERM, made by Checkmate
Technologies. It is the best terminal program I've ever seen. And it WRITES
MACROS FOR YOU! ProTERM 2.0, which is out now [but I don't have it yet, I'm
using 1.2], supports VT100 and many other emulations.

Transfer protocols abound, too...They support MANY of them, a few more than
AE did. It also supports Kermit protocol so you don't have to use Kermit
anymore.

I suggest you get ProTERM, as it is the best terminal program in existance,
in my opinion. (I used to ABHORE PRODOS, because I hadn't learned it...ProTERM
is what got me OUT of Dos 3.3 and into ProDOS most of the time).

Also, if you are still going to use AE for a while [or anyone else out there
that uses AE], and want to be able to AUTODIAL on a Smartmodem or compatible,
write me a letter and I'll send you a file I wrote on that subject.

				-tuu
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu