[comp.sys.apple] Smalltalk/Pc-MATE Question

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (02/01/88)

The following is a letter I got from a friend that only has read access to
comp.sys.apple.  If anyone knows anything about the system that he is talking
about please mail me or him information on it, or post it to the net.

Thanks...

                Todd South

 ----------------------
[ Begin forwarded mail ]
 ----------------------

does anyone know smalltalk-pc/mate ???? u need it ! read BYTE 5/85, page 155-
:
'...provides run-time scheduling and multitasking....multilevel
scheduling, queue handling and semaphores...'
'smalltalk-mate will run on multiple-processor hardware, incl.
the Apple II and IBM PC with added processor cards....'
'The database-processing toolkit has extensions to interface relational
database functions to hard-disk- and network-based information systems'
'...run<s> coresident with the p-system <UCSD> and MS-DOS among others...'
'supports reading & writing of files in other formats, like DOS 3.3, CP/M,
MS-DOS, and the p-system.'

the only problem is that i dont know where to buy that....no answer on
my letters to the address in BYTE...

                                        Heiko

p.s: this relates also to the current discussions on comp.sys.apple
                 but i have read-only access :-(

pro-simasd!pnet01!crash!cacilj!uunet!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!fernando

 --------------------
[ End forwarded mail ]
 --------------------

     | uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth | Now I only get 50 |
     | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI.                  | cents less than   |
     | Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400 bd.     | minimum wage...   |

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/14/88)

My guess is that the smalltalk in question would 'run on the apple ii' if
the apple ii has a PC Transporter installed; that's the IBM clone on a
card.  I cannot imagine anyone specifically porting smalltalk to run on
a non-GS machine otherwise.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (02/19/88)

smalltalk-pc/mate *definitely* will run on the apple II (256KB minimum...),
the article descibes what hardware is required to run smalltalk and
it was presented in BYTE 5/85. at that time neither the pc transporter
nor the //gs existed...quote: 'A variant of smalltalk-pc called smalltalk-mate
will run on multiple-processor hardware systems, including the apple II and
IBM PC with added processor cards'. {smalltalk-pc will run on apples too}
real neat software , uh !?
i will *never* stop trying to get this thing...perhaps someone has access
to BIX who may post a request to the apple board there !?!? i cant afford
online services in the us from here....:-(

*many* thanks in advance !!

		heiko.

--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (02/25/88)

In article <1393@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:

>smalltalk-pc/mate *definitely* will run on the apple II (256KB minimum...),
>the article descibes what hardware is required to run smalltalk and
>it was presented in BYTE 5/85. at that time neither the pc transporter
>nor the //gs existed...quote: 'A variant of smalltalk-pc called smalltalk-mate
>will run on multiple-processor hardware systems, including the apple II and
>IBM PC with added processor cards'. {smalltalk-pc will run on apples too}
>real neat software , uh !?
>i will *never* stop trying to get this thing

The most common 'multiple-processor system' sounds like a Z-80 card.
256KB minimum would imply a //e-based system, which you can get
a 68000 card for (from PDQ and some dead company sold a board that plugged
into the //e auxiliary slot and talked to CD-ROM drives.)

Unless this company was developing their own hardware (like a 2901-based
card that intepreted smalltalk-80 bytecodes directly), I can't imagine
why they'd require a Z-80 card for the PC, since the 8088 is more powerful.

You might have better luck finding little smalltalk, which is written in C
and might be available from one of the archive servers.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA