[comp.sys.apple] EDITORS

LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET.UUCP (01/25/87)

This is a refinement of my previous question about Appleworks.  What is the
best text editor out there (how to start a world war).  To be more specific:

1) I am mainly going to be editing files to be up/down-loaded from my main
host with Laserwriter, TeX, and those niceties.  I would like to do my
editing locally, therefore I would prefer either no embedded control
characters, or an easy conversion facility.

My current communication software is in Pascal, but I have a Dos 3.3 text file
to Pascal and vice versa utility, so I'm not completely picky about formats.

2) It has to be a screen editor and preferably as close to my beloved emacs as
possible.  Rebindable keys would be wonderful.

3) It has to recognize my old Sup'R'Terminal Bd and shift key mod.

The candidates I've seen advertised so far are AppleWorks (yes I know it does
more than word processing) and Word Perfect.  Any others out there?

P.S. <unrelated> I have Pascal system 1.1, did Apple go further with this system
(remember this was inherited), and if so what improvements have been made.  The
Pascal editor is moderately tortuous.  It is especially frustrating that Esc
means kill last change, rather than accept as in Vi.

Lyman

The man with the boring, but mercifully short, sign-off.

mikec@tekred.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <8701241720.aa11929@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET writes:
>P.S. <unrelated> I have Pascal system 1.1, did Apple go further with this system
>(remember this was inherited), and if so what improvements have been made.  The
>Pascal editor is moderately tortuous.  It is especially frustrating that Esc
>means kill last change, rather than accept as in Vi.

Apple Pascal is up to version 1.3.  It works with 3.5" drives and the extended
memory available on the //e or //c.  It's pretty much the same thing, but
there is an upgrade available...I'll post the address later.  The price
is $125.  You'll have to send the manual cover or something as proof of
ownership.  The new manual, 1.3, is much nicer (and heavier).

The ESC button bothered me, until I remembered that when you press ESC after
an insert or delete, the text is copied into the buffer.  So all you have to
do after typing ESC is press "C" (for copy) and then "B" (for from buffer).
It will restore what ESC destroyed.  This has been a life saver for me several
times.

Another thing you might be able to do is use the setup utility to remap the
keyboard so that the esc and ^C keys are reversed.  I haven't tried this,
but it shouldn't be hard to do it on a backup disk as an experiment.  The
program is located on the APPLE3: volume.

Mike A. Combs   GEnie: mike.combs   MCI: mcombs   tektronix!tekgen!tekred!mikec
     ^--The "A" is for: "Accidently erased the files".
terrorist, contras, drugs, Iran, secret, NSA, CIA <- NSA line-eater food :-(

halp@batcomputer.UUCP (01/28/87)

Sender:B.P. Halpern, Psychology & Neurobiology, Cornell, Ithaca

In article <8701241720.aa11929@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET writes:

>more than word processing) and Word Perfect.  Any others out there?
>
>P.S. <unrelated> I have Pascal system 1.1, did Apple go further with this system
The current version of Apple Pascal is 1.3. It is a major improvement over earlier versions, and has a very good manual. Its editor is better than previous
versions. Howver, to get a REALLY good Apple Pascal editor, find Advanced System

Editor v1.0 from Volition Systems (they seem to have gone out of business). It
wont run under Apple Pascal v1.3, but will with 1.1 or 1.2.

                    B.P. Halpern

rbthomas@caip.UUCP (01/31/87)

> 2) It has to be a screen editor and preferably as close to my beloved emacs as
> possible.  Rebindable keys would be wonderful.

There is a very nice emacs available for the 128K IIe, (it's called
Amacs) which you can order for under 100 dollars from the developer,
who lives in Boston somewhere.  If you are interested, send me email
and I will look it up.  It has rebindable keys, but only a very
limited programmability (it all has to fit in 128K, remember!)  It
cannot deal with files that are larger than can fit in its in-memory
buffer, because it does not use a disk scratch file.  On the other
hand, it is quite fast, because it doesn't have to go to disk for
anything.

The biggest problem I have with it has nothing to do with amacs at all.
My problem is that everything that runs on the Apple II that needs to
do text editing, already has its own text editor built in, and each of these
editors are incompatible with all the others!  Amacs is an excellent
stand-alone editor, but I don't use it as often as I would like, because
I can't invoke it from inside (say) appleworks or (say again) merlin-pro.
Also, I have had poor luck getting it to integrate with Kayan Pascal
which does have a stand-alone editor, so substituting Amacs for it
should be a breeze, right?  Actually, the problems with substituting
Amacs for the Kayan editor are nearly all on the Kayan side.  Kayan
has a 'library' file that it expects to be loaded, and does not check
for when it starts up.  Amacs doesn't know from nothing about Kayan's
library file, so it uses that memory area for something (I dont know
or care what.)  So when switching back to Kayan from Amacs, it blows
up! Grump!  Maybe things are better with the new version of Kayan.

Rick Thomas

rbthomas@caip.rutgers.edu

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (02/03/87)

Rick,

What do you think about Kayan Pascal?  I have seen it advertised and
reviewed but I haven't got a users view of it.

Thanks,

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

mikec@tekred.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <2638@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:
>What do you think about Kayan Pascal?  I have seen it advertised and
>reviewed but I haven't got a users view of it.

I'm an almost user of Kyan Pascal.  It's got potential... :-(

Pros:  Runs under ProDOS, no licensing fees, compiles to stand alone
applications.  Development is done in Kix, a command shell on top of
ProDOS that acts like Unix.  (copy, dir, rm commands, etc.)

Major flaw:  No strings.  Also, functions cannot return structured types,
like records.  (The latter is ISO level 0 standard, so excusable, but still
awful to have to work under).

program yech;
var  str: array [1..10] of char;

begin
  str:= 'Hi      ';
end.

Note that you have to pad out the assignment of str with spaces out to
the total length of the definition.  I could live with that if I only used
strings 10 characters long, but I define them to be length 80.

Until they add strings (and the tech support promises this reluctently),
I don't recommend it.  I must say that I really like the kix shell,
except that it eats LOTS of disk space (use an 800K disk) and is slow
(okay, use a LARGE RAM disk).

And the editor they supply really stinks, and has some bugs with larger
files.

Kyan supports chaining programs, and include files, but not precompiled
libraries, or overlays.

Anything else?  I'm assuming here that you're familiar with the "normal"
features of pascal compilers, so I've only pointed out the significant
departures.

yoyoy can't Turbo Pascal run under ProDOS?

Mike A. Combs   GEnie: mike.combs   MCI: mcombs   tektronix!tekgen!tekred!mikec
     ^--The "A" is for: "Accidently erased the files".
terrorist, contras, drugs, Iran, secret, NSA, CIA <- NSA line-eater food :-(

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (02/25/88)

I have been using ORCA/M 4.1 for a little over a year now and am now in
the process of learning the MANX C65-c system.  As much as I like ORCA,  it and
Manx seem to have the same shortcoming, namely the editor.  They both give prov
isions for adding a new editor but which one to use?  It would be really great
to use Appleworks since I already own it and Ultra macroworks but this results
in a lot of trouble in going from AWP to TXT and back all of the time. To make
things worse ORCA uses the Auxilary type to determine which compiler to use
adding one more step.  My main concern is the C system though. Does anyone have
any suggestions for a good editor to add? Preferably one with a small number of
segments and the ability to do Macros.
Thanks  Bob Church  CS656@OUACCVMB