[comp.sys.apple] CMS vs Apple SCSI

CSCT0PY7@UNO.BITNET (03/01/88)

>From:         TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.arpa
>Subject:      RE: hard drives

>I recently installed an Everex 40Meg drive on my GS; it is mostly sold
>to the Macintosh market but has a SCSI interface so it plugs right into
>an Apple SCSI card.  In a sense it had to be formatted by "foreign
>software" -- if it's formatted by any of the ProDOS utilities I have
>(System Utilities, Finder, Copy II+, possibly something else) you can
>only use a small part of it -- 8 Meg, I seem to remember (40-32 is the
>clue).  So what you do is have it be formatted on a Macintosh (gets you
>32Meg) at the dealer and very carefully carry it home.

A friend of mine is using a 40meg Everex drive with a CMS SCSI controller
and formatting software.  The only thing that needed to be modified was
something with the cable.  Being that the CMS drive uses a DB-25 connector,
which is not the same connector used on the Everex unit.  After converting
the connections over to the CMS DB-25 format, the drive performed as a CMS
drive without problems including using the full 40megs of the drive using it
in the CMS hard drive network.  The reason why he could use the full 40megs
is that the controller has jumpers to set partitions of two 20meg volumes
instead of using it as one 32meg volume.

If I remember properly, he was able to save about $100 over buying the CMS
drive outright.  It  could make an affordable alternative over using
the Apple SCSI interface.

Rene Campbell
CSCT0PY71583@UNO.BITNET -- Bitnet
362649(INFOS)           -- Telex

My disclaimer is anything that will keep me out of trouble with anyone.