[comp.sys.apple] BLU, THE.EXECUTIVE, and EXECUTIONER

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/01/88)

   Todd South <tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM> writes:
>        I just sent the two files "The.Executive" and "BLU.2.27" via
>the APPLE2-L server. I hope that they get through to everyone that was
>asking for them.

Patt Haring beat you to the punch by posting BLU 2.28.  Version 2.27
was posted to APPLE2-L on 11/14/87.  I know it's a problem not being
able to reach the APPLE2-L archives from USENET, but the apathy
was RAMPANT when Larry Virden tried to organize a vote for a
comp.sys.binaries.  About the best you can do is subscribe to
APPLE2-L and look for a friend on USENET who can send you things
you've missed.  I'd love to help, but so far my mail to pro-pac
has never illicited a response (nor been bounced either -- lost in
USENET limbo I suppose).  A good reason for you not trying to organize
a vote; too many of us can't find a way to get mail to you.

I've just had occassion to check the subscriber list to APPLE2-L.
It numbers 193 addresses, at least 2 of which are identifiable as
redistributors (who accept one copy and send duplicates to who
knows how many downstream subscribers).  If all those APPLE2-L
subscribers could be counted as wanting comp.sys.binaries, then we'd
have the problem licked, no?

THE.EXECUTIVE is ** NOT ** the same as the EXECUTIONER.  The later
encodes and is capable of producing EXECable text files that are as
little as 40% larger than the original binary.  The former tends to
produce files about 3 times the size of the original binary.  Hence,
the BLU file you hexed into 250K would be roughly 120K in 6-bit
EXECUTIONER format (still rather a lot to swallow all at once).

The EXECUTIONER was posted to APPLE2-L on 9/26/87.  From bitnet
or arpa, it can be retrieved by sending mail to LISTSERV@BROWNVM
(note, to LISTSERV not Apple2-l) containing the command:

GET APPLE2-L 87-00137

Disclaimer: My employer often is appalled by my opinions, and
            my facts may be only vaguely right <slippery when wet>.

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut