[comp.sys.apple] Sider SCSI

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (02/24/88)

>I used to have a Sider ][ (10 meg) a year or two ago, and they simply
>made Prodos into two partitions that were adjustable (/HARD1 and /HARD2).
>I expect that they use a similar scheme for their large capacity drives,
>thus avoiding the problem of the Prodos 32 Meg limit.
>
>I do not know what the access times on these drives are; that seems to be
>a relatively unimportant thing in the world of Apple II hard disks (not
>unimportant to me, though).  However, if I have my facts straight, these
>drives are NOT SCSI.

From what I have seen in A+ magazine, The sider uses and old version of SCSI
that uses 50 pins instead of the Apple 25-pin and is supposedly slower.. But
if you buy an upgrade chip, the Sider can run faster than a SCSI drive...

(>

|Joel Sumner | FidoNet 1:227/3 | AT&T (219) 291-0064 | US Snail            |
|----------------------------------------------------- 1505 Sheffield Ct.  |
|When all else fails, read the instructions.....     | South Bend, IN 46614|

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (03/02/88)

In article <126@thelink.UUCP> oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:

>>I do not know what the access times on these drives are; that seems to be
>>a relatively unimportant thing in the world of Apple II hard disks (not
>>unimportant to me, though).  However, if I have my facts straight, these
>>drives are NOT SCSI.
>
>From what I have seen in A+ magazine, The sider uses and old version of SCSI
>that uses 50 pins instead of the Apple 25-pin and is supposedly slower.. But
>if you buy an upgrade chip, the Sider can run faster than a SCSI drive...

The Sider (the old ones, not the d1 and d2, or whatever they are called)
used SASI, which was Shugart Asscociates original interface.  They spiffed
it up and called it SCSI.  For the most part, SASI is compatable with SCSI,
but that SCSI has more "features".

I have a bunch of pamphlets on all the FCP preducts.  Amoung them are 140Meg
HD / 60Meg streaming tape. When I called, they said "Oh, sometime in March
-- 1989" or somesuch.  Last I heard (Dec. 87) they hadn't yet completed the
HD40, though I am sure this is changed.  Everything up to the 40 has 65ms
track times, with everything above 40 having 28 (I think.)

For those of you interested, I can scroung up the pamphlets.

I am trying to figure out a way to get ~40-60megs, under $600 (for
everything but the SCSI card), with at least one small 400K dos 3.3
partition, and the rest prodos.  I would prefere maybe 5 dos 3.3 partitions,
or something horrible like that.  But I need one.  As it is, I'm leaning
heavily towards a sider D2, as I found one for $800.The only reason I want
it is that it says "works with Dos 3.3", and I know it does. I suppose I
could grab any old ST406 or somesuch, rig up a SCSI controller, and then use
something to partition it, and use AmDos. . . But, it'd have to be *really*
cheap.

Sean kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET