[comp.sys.apple] MS-DOS on Atari

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Operator) (02/28/88)

Recently someone asked why there is an MS-DOS emulator for the Atari for under
$100.00.  From what I gather from one of my users, the MS-DOS product for the
Atari requires a CP/M board first then the MS-DOS board.  And it is Atari
MS-DOS. The disks are not compatible with the IBM (or clones) it is a special
Atari disk format.  The same goes for their CP/M.  It is Atari CP/M.

iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks) (03/02/88)

In article <8802272056.AA17963@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-colony!dale@nosc.MIL writes:
>Recently someone asked why there is an MS-DOS emulator for the Atari for under
>$100.00.  From what I gather from one of my users, the MS-DOS product for the
>Atari requires a CP/M board first then the MS-DOS board.  And it is Atari
>MS-DOS. The disks are not compatible with the IBM (or clones) it is a special
>Atari disk format.  The same goes for their CP/M.  It is Atari CP/M.

 For the Atari ST series this is not correct.  There is a software product
 called PC-DITTO that retails for right at $90.00US.  It runs either
 PC-DOS or MS-DOS using the Atari disk drives or a stand-alone IBM type
 drive.  The disk format for Atari ST is essentially compatable with
 PC(MS)-DOS.  Bear in mind that the Atari drives are 3.5 inch so the IBM
 disks must be this size rather than the more common 5.25 inch disks.  As
 far as I can determine from reading and conversation with some Atari owners,
 if the 3.5 inch disk was formatted on an IBM, then it can be used with no
 problems on the Atari.  If it was formatted on the Atari, it may  not boot
 on an IBM (or clone) hardware system.  It will, however, still be usable to
 read or write data onto or off of.
 No special hardware board is required or used.  This is the standard Atari ST
 disk format, not a special format for IBM compatability.  And CP/M has
 absolutly nothing to do with it.  Again, I'm adressing the Atari ST series
 and not the older 8-bit machines.
 This feature is weighing heavily on my decision as to what to replace a
 very old Apple ][ (not ][+ or //e, a real live Rev. 0 Apple ][) with, the
 battle is between Atari ST, Amiga and maybe a Apple //GS.  The GS is a
 bit pricey, however.

                                         Still an Apple ][ fan,
                                             Terry Banks

--
T. Terrell Banks  uucp: ...!{akgua,ihnp4,hplabs,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!iadt3tb
Georgia Insitute of Technology - I.S.A.      Internet: iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.edu

msicv01@ms3.UUCP (Jay G. Heiser) (03/03/88)

In article <8802272056.AA17963@crash.cts.com>, dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Operator) writes:
> Recently someone asked why there is an MS-DOS emulator for the Atari for under
> $100.00.  From what I gather from one of my users, the MS-DOS product for the
> Atari requires a CP/M board first then the MS-DOS board.  And it is Atari
> MS-DOS. The disks are not compatible with the IBM (or clones) it is a special
> Atari disk format.  The same goes for their CP/M.  It is Atari CP/M.

Don't know about CP/M, but the program, PC-Ditto, runs on a factory-stock
Atari ST and reads standard 3.5" MS-DOS diskettes.  It is about 80-90%
slower than a PC, but the price is right.

I would like to have a //GS, but the Ataris look awful nice.  Also available
for the ST is the Magic Sac, a hard & software product that allows it to
emulate a Mac -- and is faster than a Mac.  It can't read Mac diskettes yet,
but that capability is promised for the near future.

Just over $1000 buys a 1 Meg Atari with a drive & color monitor.  How can
the //GS (or the //e) compete with that.

I'd rather stick with Apple, but would Apple rather stick with us?