[comp.sys.apple] GS+ and next generation //s {ac

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (03/04/88)

/* Written 11:34 pm  Mar  1, 1988 by aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu in silver:comp.sys.apple */
/* ---------- "Re: GS+ and next generation //s {ac" ---------- */
In article <8802271745.AA00234@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> MARK@ISIS.MIT.EDU (Mark Kriegsman / VAX Resource Center) writes:

>>PS. Anyone want me to post the program I wrote that gives TRUE 80 column
>>    display (560 horiz points) on an unmodified ][ / ][+ ?  How about the
>>   one that lets you control the volume of the speaker-that-has-no-
>>    volume-control on any ][?  How about the "bouncing ball" demo (like the
>>    Amiga's 'boing') that runs on any ][?  How about the one that lets
>>    you draw graphics in 16 colors with no orange-next-to-green style
>>    restrictions, and supports a color lookup table that also runs on
>>    and ][ that has had the "color-mod" (remember that one, folks?) ?
>>
>>PPS. Get the idea?
excuse me?!?!?  Is this a joke?  Do these programs exist?  (I didn't
read the original message - haven't followed Apples much since I purchased
my Amiga)  Anyway, if these programs REALLY exist (I don't see HOW),
then I would like to get them ALL - if its possible...

For some reason I think this was meant sarcastically, or as a joke...
I HOPE I'M WRONG!!!

>Yes, I would like to see these programs posted!  If you can't do this try
>to mail them to me I would really appreciate it.

>Thanx.

	"I woke up in a Soho doorway, the policeman knew my name..."
		Who Are You? -- The Who

buyse@convexe.UUCP (03/05/88)

No, I'm sorry, but you are wrong.  The quote to which I referred to in
the text you snipped was (paraphrased) "We try to have extremely short
design cycles-- less than a year" (attributed to Steven Jobs by a net
user).  I differed with that quotation in particular with regard to the
Macintosh II.  I believe that the Mac II took over a year from conception
to production.  Also, since the quote had to be over 2 years old, and
since much has changed at Apple Computer in that time, I felt that the
quote was no longer valid.

The quote that you mention by Jean Louis Gassee' (accent egout) has full
weight in reference to the IIGS.  He is now (I believe) a Vice President in
the structure of Apple Computer, Inc.  By the way, he also has an interesting
book out now called _The_Third_Apple_.  It is not a technical book, and
you can decide for yourselves exactly how you would like to characterize it.

I fully believe that the folks over at Apple are working on the successor
to the IIGS.  I even would go so far as to say that the next
*incremental* step in the IIGS line is already in or near prototype.  But
I do not yet believe in a Super II that uses the 65c832 being designed
for planned release.  However, we can always hope.