[comp.sys.apple] Atari vs GS

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/07/88)

 "Jay G. Heiser" <vrdxhq!ms3!msicv01@umd5.umd.EDU> writes:
>Don't know about CP/M, but the program, PC-Ditto, runs on a factory-stock
>Atari ST and reads standard 3.5" MS-DOS diskettes.  It is about 80-90%
>slower than a PC, but the price is right.

Ummm.. I trust you mean the emulation runs 80 to 90% as FAST as an
8088 PC; 80 to 90% slower would be between 10 and 20% of a PC's
speed (a rate that would make a 300 baud terminal look quick!).

At 10% of a PC's speed even I might be able to bring Flight
Simulator safely to earth.

>Just over $1000 buys a 1 Meg Atari with a drive & color monitor.  How can
>the //GS (or the //e) compete with that.

And of course there's that VAST base of games, business, and educational
software which grows larger by the day.... ;-)

If purely price logic appeals to you, consider a Laser 128 (a pretty
capable //e clone for even less than an Atari ST).

Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employers anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut