[comp.sys.apple] IIGS Menu Manager

gry@reed.UUCP (Jason Klivington) (03/04/88)

	One important difference I have noticed in the Mac and IIGS Menu
Managers is that the Mac's allows scrolling, while the GS's apparently
does not.  The major disadvantage of this is in regards to the use of
fonts. It is possible to store a large number of fonts in the
system/fonts directory and not be able to access them all in a word
processor because the font list spills off the screen on the bottom of
the fonts menu (boo.)  I do hope that they bother to fix this in the
next system release (should be relatively easy since Menu Manager is
stored on disk, not in ROM...well, there's one advantage to having it
set up like that...)  Has anyone else noticed any flaws in the GS tool
sets?

	Jason Klivington
	Reed College, Portland OR

sds@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Steven D. Splinter) (03/08/88)

In article <8383@reed.UUCP> gry@reed.UUCP (Jason Klivington) writes:

>	One important difference I have noticed in the Mac and IIGS Menu
>Managers is that the Mac's allows scrolling, while the GS's apparently
>does not...  I do hope that they bother to fix this in the
>next system release...

The 'feature' of non-scrolling GS menus is not a 'bug', but a
deliberate descision on the part of the GS tools people at apple.
They felt the GS wasn't fast enough to do the scrolling menu bit, and
therefore haven't implemented it.  The solution for the fonts problem
mentioned is to use _ChooseFont, a standard tool call that brings up a
dialog giving the user a choice of typeface & style.

Apple MAY, in the future, implement scrolling menus, but it will be an
enhancement, not a bug fix. (maybe the gs+? :-)

--
-Steven D. Splinter			UUCP	sds@fizban, meccts!fizban!sds
-MECC Technical Services		or	sds@meccts, meccts!sds

 PS: My Employers don't know I have an opinion, much less agree with
 mine.