[comp.sys.apple] Sears 128

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/08/88)

> From:    MEMORY::FARRELL "Joe Farrell"
> Subj:    Sears and Apples

That tale sounds like my experience with a VCR (made for Sears
by Toshiba but NO parts cross-reference to ANY other Toshiba
models; could ONLY be repaired by Sears because the quicker,
and less expensive, repair services can't get parts).  I read
in the Wall Street Journal that even Sear's own employees complained
at an annual meeting of stockholders that THEY can't get decent
repair service from Sears.

My conclusion: NEVER buy ANY appliance (durable) from Sears
(Another curiosity: according to Consumer Reports Sear's less expensive
catalog order tools are superior to the in-store "Craftsman" brand).

---------------------
Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employers anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

abc@BRL.ARPA (Brint Cooper) (03/09/88)

I guess it depends upon where you live.  Around here, we have no such
fears.  Sears happily provides a rather complete manual with what they
sell, and it contains the Sears part number for virtualy every part.  We
simply order the parts and install them ourselves.  Is this not an
option?

_Brint

----- Forwarded message # 1:

From:     SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU