[comp.sys.apple] Full Screen Editors for BBSes

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000) (03/09/88)

In <8803071706.aa04960@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SPARKS@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU (Pooh Bear) writes:
>   Has anyone ever heard of Apple II/e/gs BB programs that support full screen
>editors?  The last GBBS I saw had several nice control-char commands for
>centering, etc.. but it was line by line only.
>   A VT-100 compatible, basic EMACS command compatible program or module
>would be very nice!  Otherwise, I'll have to look into programming my own!

I have not heard of a full-screen online editor for the Apple // series...
although I would -like to- have heard of one.

There is a major problem with trying to write one of them though (and this
is probably why there hasn't been one written {AT LEAST NOT WELL KNOWN} yet).
The Datamedia 1500 (which is what the standard Apple // 80 column card uses
or emulates or is or whatever you want to call it) does not support direct
screen addressing, I believe. I may be wrong (actually, now that I think of it,
I think I am wrong, but I haven't seen it used very often and don't recall how
to do it)...It is something like
? ^6;asc[xcoord+32];asc[ycoord+32]

And even if you DO get it to work with Datamedia 1500, that rules out people
without 80 column cards (most // and //+ users and some with //es who,
for some odd reason, haven't bought one)....And I'm just assuming that ONLY
APPLE USERS WILL CALL your bbs! Trying to make it work with more than one
emulation will be even harder...(Using something like vt52 or vt100 would
be bad because not everyone has software that supports that...There are a whole
host of problems you will run into trying to write one of these, but I wish
you all the luck in the world).

	-tuu