[comp.sys.apple] Corvus and Apple II's

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (03/05/88)

Leonard B. Bliss writes:
>Does anyone out there have any expericnce or know of any problems others have
>had networking GS's or other machines using CORVUS hardware?

The Washington Apple Pi Apple user group in Bethesda, MD has had quite a bit
of experience with CORVUS networks for the past few years with their BBS.
They have been running a multi-user BBS using a Corvus network, where
about 8 Apples are connected together to achieve the multi-user capability.
As I recall, they're using Apple IIe's and not IIGS's, but there shouldn't be
any problem.  As I understand it, if an Apple IIgs is used on a Corvus
network, you must use the slow speed mode.  The fast speed is not compatable
with the network.
PROLINE: pro-charlotte!pro-novapple!daveharv
UUCP: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pro-charlotte!pro-novapple!daveharv
ARPA: crash!pro-charlotte!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
INT: pro-novapple!daveharv@pro-charlotte.cts.com
pro-novapple :-> 1 703 352-5842 - 300/1200/2400 - 24 hrs

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (03/10/88)

Leonard B. Bliss writes:
>Does anyone out there have any expericnce or know of any problems others have
>had networking GS's or other machines using CORVUS hardware?

We have several Corvus networks at work, both Omninet and the old flat
cable.

The flat cable (Constellation I) is pretty zippy on a GS, but
unfortunatly Corvus doesn't sell it anymore and it doesn't support
ProDOS.  (Although one of my co-workers burned a set of his own ROM's
and now has ProDOS8 and ProDOS16 running on it.)

Omninet (Constellation II/III) works on a GS, but you need to run the
machine in slow mode.  Also, Omninet supports DOS 3.3 and ProDOS8 but
not ProDOS16.  Basically, you can't use any of the features of a GS
when using the network.  Omninet makes a good //e network, but I
wouldn't recommend if for a GS network.

If you want to network your GS's I would recommend Apple's new network,
AppleShare.  This network fully supports the GS, supports ProDOS8 and
ProDOS16, does file sharing between //'s, Macs, and IBM's, and does
remote print spooling to either ImageWriters or LaserWriters.  This
network is a little bit slower than Omninet, but if you are networking
GS's it will probably be cheaper.

-Paul R. Wenker
-MECC