[comp.sys.apple] video digitizer

AELevy@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (03/09/88)

I would like to get a video digitizer for my IIgs and was wondering
which is the best.  I was looking at the computer eyes and the ast unit.
Regards, Allan .s

mccarthy@well.UUCP (Patrick McCarthy) (03/11/88)

In article <880309052023.590872@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, AELevy@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:

> I would like to get a video digitizer for my IIgs and was wondering
> which is the best.  I was looking at the computer eyes and the ast unit.

Whatever you do, I can't stress the importance of NOT getting the AST
digitizer. Although the card itself isn't all that bad, I had a very
bad experience with AST itself (a nightmare, in fact), and have
recommended to everyone who's asked me on the subject (and some who
haven't) to **STAY AWAY FROM AST RESEARCH**.

I bought a VisionPlus back in August '87, right about the time people
started finding out about the problems with the AE GS Ram cards (which
I have).  Although I don't fault AST for the fact that AE's card isn't
up to spec (and therefore does not work with the AST Vision+), I do fault
them for the fact that no one told me I would even need any extra RAM
(I bought the card directly from them as a developer), let alone that
there were cards it wouldn't work with.  To make an extremely long story
short, after a week of phone calls, they finally agreed to let me ship
the card back for a refund, but it took me FIVE MONTHS and about $50.00
in phone calls (not to mention a lot of grief) to get them to actually
send me the check.  Then it took me several more weeks to convince them
that I wasn't a dealer when they started sending me nasty letters about
not having my resale number and tax information on file.

If that's they way they treat thier developers, I'd hate te be a regular
customer.

Pat McCarthy

mccarthy@well.uucp
well!mccarthy@lll-crg.arpa