[comp.sys.apple] z-link

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (12/02/87)

I have been writing a communications package for the Apple // titled
Z-Link. I've been working on it for a bit over a year now, and I feel
that it is in a stage that it should be distributed. It works on a //GS
with the built-in serial port, the //c, and maybe an enhanced //e. I can't
be sure about the //e because I haven't got one around to test it on. I
need somebody to beta-test it for me. Right now, the program is slightly
less than 10k. It does h19 terminal emulation, and when I get around to it,
(school calls...) I'll make it so you can change the terminal type without
much trouble. It also does various transfer protocols (Xmodem/Ymodem/Batch).
Other neato stuff too. I'm working on a simple command laguage for it so you
can write auto-logon stuff.

Since I am on uucp, I'm not sure how to get stuff to LISTSERV. Can someone
either send me instructions for POSTING a program, or convince me
that a 14k executioner file isn't too big for comp.sys.apple...

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (12/04/87)

Well, I just posted Z-Link to APPLE2-L...I urge you all to try it out.
It's shareware,and you don't have to pay the minimal price of $25 if
you don't keep a copy of it. If you do use it, I ask that you do send
me the oh-so-very-low amount of $25 (CHEAP!) C'mon, which would you rather
have? A year's subscription to Sports Illustrated (boring...) or this
fantasticly exciting piece of software? :-) Enjoy...

	Dave
David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (01/15/88)

I have a rudimentary VT100 working in Z-Link. Now that I have a full, simple
description of the codes, I'll be hacking away getting those features
implemented.

I do have one problem. So far, after Z-Link has been up and around for roughly
a month and a half, nobody has sent me any money. I'm dissapointed, to say the
least. I know there are people out there using Z-Link, they've sent me mail
complimenting it (by the way, I still have your addresses, I don't delete
friendly mail).

I will complete VT100 and finish up another part of the program which remains
incomplete. I'll post that, and then no more unless I see *some* evidence
that it's being used (ie *somebody* pays for it). If any of you do decide to
pay for it, send me some e-mail (so I can get a return address) and I will
e-mail updates to you personally. You say to yourself "goodie! one last update
and screw him! I won't pay!" Oh well. You lose out on Binary II and Kermit
and other goodies as I think of them.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit selfish, but I've worked hard on Z-Link, and I
really thought there would be some payment for my work. (Author of TIC: you've
felt the same crunch: how do I go about getting it published and distributed
proffesionally? I'm a busy student, and I haven't got the time or resources to
runs things out of my room.)

Flames to this posting will most likely be ignored.

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) (01/17/88)

inturrupts) hooked upt to a hayes compatible modem and a 1 meg RamWorks II.

     I downloaded zlink and tried several times to get it to run with
no success, so I deleted it.

     Have you gotten any response from anyone else who has a //e?  Did they
get it to work, and if so how?
       take care,
                                     -Bri
Brian Dall        |                           |"It is dangerous to tell
PO Box 5112       |  NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET  | the people that laws are
NDSU Station      |                           | not just. . . ."
Fargo, ND  58105  |                           |  -Blaise Pascal

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (01/21/88)

In article <524NU092254@NDSUVM1> NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) writes:
>inturrupts) hooked upt to a hayes compatible modem and a 1 meg RamWorks II.
>
>     I downloaded zlink and tried several times to get it to run with
>no success, so I deleted it.
>
>     Have you gotten any response from anyone else who has a //e?  Did they
>get it to work, and if so how?
>       take care,

Morgan Davis has sent me a few notes trying to describe its failure on his
machine. His //e is not quite the same as a normal one (strange ROMs)
I'm trying to work out the exact cause of the problem. It's going to be hard
for me until I can get an enhanced //e for myself and play around a bit.

jon@cisunx.UUCP (Jon M. Pearsall) (01/29/88)

In article <12368890049.62.GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU> GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) writes:
>re: Z-LINK
>Dave, crc and I have both had the "hang" on our ][e (enhanced) systems.a

I've got the exact same problem.  Z-Link boots up ok and even dials the phone
with no problem.  After connect, thought, the computer just hangs dead.  I had
a similar problem with TIC, I remember, but I just sent a break signal after
connect and all was fine.  I've got an enhanced //e, Prometheus 1200A internal
modem, and my printer card (in case it messes with the bus or something) is a
Microtek 622c.  I hope you can get this thing to work as I'm tired of using
Kermit.  Good luck.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jon Pearsall,  University of Pittsburgh =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= !pitt!cisunx!jon                      As the Zorg closes in, Spaceman Spiff =

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (02/04/88)

In article <6532@cisunx.UUCP> jon@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Jon M. Pearsall) writes:
>In article <12368890049.62.GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU> GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) writes:
>>re: Z-LINK
>>Dave, crc and I have both had the "hang" on our ][e (enhanced) systems.a
>
>I've got the exact same problem.  Z-Link boots up ok and even dials the phone
>with no problem.  After connect, thought, the computer just hangs dead.

While you type the AT command, does anything echo? If nothing is echoing, then
one or more of the following is true:

1) You don't have the modem in local echo during command mode. type ATE1.
2) The serial card (internal modem which works *exactly* like an SSC) doesn't
   have interrupts enabled. On the SSC, there is a switch to switch (sw2-6,
   I think) If your card (internal modem) doesn't have this switch, or isn't
   able to generate interrupts at all, then Z-Link is useless to you as I have
   built the entire program around the fact that the computer has interrupts.
   Sorry, but it's simply too hard on my part to work around it.

As for the program crashing after CONNECT, I think I can fix that no problem.
I'm sure it's as simple as my checking the wrong flag somewhere.

Watch for the update that (should) work on the enhanced //e, does VT100 (screen
emulation only - keyboard later), handles a 25th line, and other goodies...

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (03/14/88)

>I finally decided to download Z Link and surprisingly I got it execed with no
>problems.

>Anyway, in VT-100 mode, is the keypad emulated? I know it is in Kermit and
>I was wondering if it was in Z Link.

Sorry, Z-Link is only SCREEN emulation.. Kermit does all the keypad stuff

|Joel Sumner | FidoNet 1:227/3 | AT&T (219) 291-0064 | US Snail            |
|When all else fails, read the instructions.....     | South Bend, IN 46614|