[comp.sys.apple] Apple II emulation

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/14/88)

  portal!cup.portal.com!Tramp@uunet.uu.NET writes:
>I am interested in finding an EMULATOR that runs on the
>APPLE III system (The LISA) that will allow it to run
>Apple IIe or Apple II+ software.

The Lisa is NOT (not even close too, in fact)  an Apple III (///).
An Apple /// is a 6502 based system (actually dual 6502's) that
provides for (48K) Apple II emulation mode (there is a board from
Sun that provides for 128K //e emulation on a ///).

Lisa was a precursor of the Macintosh.  It is a 68000 based system
that, before it was continued was renamed the Mac something or other.
I believe it possible to run a Mac operating system on a Lisa and
there IS Macware that emulates a II (won't run copy protected software).
Whether "II in a Mac" (I think there's another as well) will run on
a Lisa emulating a Mac, I do not know.

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a Laser 128 (not from Sears though)?

---------------------
Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employers anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (03/16/88)

In article <8803131401.aa03885@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>The Lisa is NOT (not even close too, in fact)  an Apple III (///).
>An Apple /// is a 6502 based system (actually dual 6502's) that
>provides for (48K) Apple II emulation mode (there is a board from
>Sun that provides for 128K //e emulation on a ///).
 ^^^

 note that that is Sun Remarketing!  Gotta keep tabs on things like
that, as Sun Microsystem, Inc, is very big out here in Oregon, and they
have no plans as far as I know to make anything for the apple series.
:-)

>Lisa was a precursor of the Macintosh.  It is a 68000 based system
>that, before it was continued was renamed the Mac something or other.

	It was renamed the Mac XL, and was promptly traded in by most
owners for a Mac +.  Note that it is still used on The Guiding Light.

>I believe it possible to run a Mac operating system on a Lisa and
>there IS Macware that emulates a II (won't run copy protected software).
>Whether "II in a Mac" (I think there's another as well) will run on
>a Lisa emulating a Mac, I do not know.

The other program is Mac+][.

>ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
>BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
>UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET