[comp.sys.apple] c compiler

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (03/11/88)

as far as i know the best c compiler is aztec c65-c ProDOS from manx.
i bought it some weeks ago and i love it...

have phun

--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume

laba-4an@web3h.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/13/88)

>as far as i know the best c compiler is aztec c65-c ProDOS from manx.
>i bought it some weeks ago and i love it...

Does the Aztec compiler support the UNIX system calls, or just the generic
ones like fopen?  Is curses supported [yes, I'm dreaming]?

--
"Portable source code?!?  I'M not going anywhere..."

In article <7628@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-4an@web3h.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Andy McFadden) writes:
>Does the Aztec compiler support the UNIX system calls, or just the generic
>ones like fopen?  Is curses supported [yes, I'm dreaming]?

Obviously, no Apple II C compiler is likely to support fork(), ptrace(), etc.
Manx's Aztec C65 does have open(), read(), etc. and a limited subset of ioctl().
Curses is not supported, but there is an alternate screen display library
included, as well as a library simple plotting graphics routines.

I've used Aztec C on my Apple II for several years and am generally pleased
with it.  Its two biggest drawbacks are that it works only in 8-bit mode and
it has limited support; apparently other computers such as the Macintosh are
more profitable markets.  An annoying but perhaps inevitable feature is that
it takes a long time to compile even moderately large sources, and it is
best used with a hard disk (two 5.25" disks is the absolute minimum but is
too tedious to recommend).

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (03/16/88)

aztec suports the system independant functions of unix...
i favor aztec (prodos)because its shell has environment variables
and search path=s for libs, includes and cmds, shell scripts too.
that makes it more unix-like than other c dev. systems i've seen (yet).
also diff grep and arc are nice too have.
have phun