[comp.sys.apple] Concerning the apathy for a comp.sys.binaries

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (03/03/88)

Can someone (preferably Larry himself) explain the reasoning as to why
there was apathy to Larry Virden setting up a comp.sys.binaries for
the apple?  Is this some sort of war between the BITNET sites and the
USENET sites that is not readily apparent to the new user?  Thanks

Todd South

 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:
 | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI ||| Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400bd |
 | Uucp: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}  nnnn  |
 |                 ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth      HHHH n|
 | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL           UUUU//|
 | INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM                             Hi Ma! \   / |
 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/15/88)

When I use the word 'apathy' in regards to my vote held last fall, I mean
'a large subset of the normal posters to this group who did not succeed in
getting votes to me in private mail messages'.  As you can see, the word
apathy is easier to type :-)

Recently I made a quick survey of the number of different id/names that
had posted to comp.sys.apple in a 2 week period of time.  There were approx
190.  I received less than 90 votes total, one of which was a No vote.

As for whether Bitnetters should consider voting - try this one out for size.
I would HOPE that some ambitious bitnetter or uucper would set things up
so that files posted to comp.binaries.apple2 would go automagically to apple2-l
- _I_ still cannot seem to get to it, but I may be getting closer .
Likewise, I would hope that this same bitnetter//uucper would try to get those
items off of apple2-l which are worthwhile (ie only the latest versions of
duplicates, etc) and post those to the binaries group.

Thus, comp.binaries.apple2 would be of benefit to both bitnet and uucp.

For those Arpanetters out there - we would hope that someone could pass the
word along and get this data passed to Arpa as well - if someone out there
KNOWS how to do this?  Also, didnt there use to be an Apple2 library on Simtel?
Perhaps the folks who know about something like this could also hook into this
new group.

But the REAL thing we need is that ambitious user to do the hookup.  Perhaps
all that is needed is an intelligent :-) program to talk between the two
worlds.  Anyone know of any of the other Bitnet lists which are gateway'd
between the worlds?

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) (03/18/88)

In article <8803031124.AA03317@crash.cts.com>, tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) writes:
> Can someone (preferably Larry himself) explain the reasoning as to why
> there was apathy to Larry Virden setting up a comp.sys.binaries for
> the apple?  Is this some sort of war between the BITNET sites and the
> USENET sites that is not readily apparent to the new user?  Thanks
>
> Todd South

I too would like to know the same thing!  What is the big issue here about
adding a comp.binaries.apple?!  I see associated newsgroups for IBM, Amiga,
TRS-80, ATTPC, Atari, etc...etc...  Who is the anarchist that doesn't want
Apple to have a newsgroup for this?!

][                                         !rutgers!moss \                 ][
][ Later Days -=> Daniel Vachon <=-        !ucbvax!ihnp4  > !drutx!dvac    ][
][                                          !mtune!ihnp4 /                 ][
][ "This project is so secret, even                                        ][
][    I don't know what I'm doing!"             Apple ][ Forever           ][