[comp.sys.apple] Mail from Participate at the University of Iowa

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET.UUCP (09/13/87)

Re: New IIgs ROMs/IWMs/DOS 3.3

Larry, I have ROM 01 and have not had any trouble with DOS 3.3.  I don't
know anything about a new IWM, but DOS 3.3 sectors are the same as ProDOS
sectors (half blocks) on 5.25 drives.  I don't see how a new IWM could affect
DOS 3.3 but not ProDOS.

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (09/15/87)

I would like to know what Addison/Wesley technical manuals for the IIgs are
*actually available* in the stores.  I haven't seen any of them, although
several are supposed to be out by now, including the Toolbox Reference.

I have ordered the second version of the Toolbox Reference Guides from APDA,
since I can't find anything else more recent than the _first_ versions from
APDA.

--Dave Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS   (BITNET)
  P.O. Box 287, North Liberty IA 52317

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (09/16/87)

Bud, it is true that there is some software that has trouble with the new
ROMs, but updates are available from the companies in question.  The ROM
_fixes_ many bugs (most of which were previously fixed by TOOL.SETUP when/if
you booted a P16 disk) rather than introducing new ones.

I can't think of anything that would affect hard disk speed in the new ROM.
Actually, there's nothing in the ROM that has anything to do with hard disk
speed--the disk I/O is all through ProDOS and the drive's ROM.

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (09/17/87)

[Dave Oberhart (FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET) asked me to forward this note here
for him. -- Dave Lyons (AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET)]
----------------
To:  P. Wolfe
Subject:  Ram Factor

I purchased my RamFactor from AE in mid 86, for my IIE.  I also got a
RamCharger  soon thereafter.

It is in fact possible to cold boot with that configuration.
Unfortunately, the docs that come with the hardware are not
very descriptive as to how to go about it.

It is well known that PRODOS formats any block of RAM that it sees when booting
as a RAM disk. But, when using the RamFactor board to boot with the
RamCharger, you must use the formatter and format the RamFactor while the
charger is on.  Note that the RamFactor board is placed in slot 7 of a IIE.
You must save the files that you wish to boot into onto the card before
power down.  At any rate, I now use my RamFactor on my IIGS, and it still
works just fine.

My Apple comes up running in less than three seconds.  That's the way it was
with my IIE, and the way it is with my  IIGS.
It is unfortunate that you are having difficulties, and I am not completely
sure that the problems were machine based, but for what it's worth,  good luck.

--Dave Oberhart
  FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET

CCOJLHPG@UIAMVS.BITNET.UUCP (09/17/87)

Are there any worthwile terminal emulation programs in the public domain that:
1, are Hayes Micromodem compatible, 2, In the Prodos operating system, 3, Able
to use the Kermit Protocal of file transfer?

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/05/87)

Bud, the TOOL.SETUP on the older system disks is smart enough to check the
version numbers of ROM tools before pathing them.  The TOOL.SETUP on the
newer disks is presumably even smarter (I haven't looked, though)--it
probably includes conditional patches for both old and new ROM.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, you might want to check out
Nifyt List, a CDA I wrote that is available on CompuServe (or thru me
directly).  It will let you see what memory is allocated to who by ID _and
pathname_, so you could see whether TOOL.SETUP has allocated any RAM after you
boot, etc.

--David A Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/17/87)

Sorry, Andy--Fatal System Error 0911 is not caused by ProSEL.

I never use ProSEL anymore, and I get my share of 0911 errors (and I got my
share of 0400 errors on the old ROM--same thing).

It's conceivable that ProSEL does something--I have no idea what--that makes
the error occur more frequently, but there is a hardware problem at the root
of all this.

Unless ProSEL behaves differently on the IIgs than on the //e or //c, the
Event Manager will not be active while you're in ProSEL--so there is no
such thing as stealing keyut.nd es on tPlea=\E[Hn v

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (10/18/87)

On Compuserve Apple engineers have indicated that they are looking for
machines which generate this error consistently.  Note that some of us dont
get this error at all, while others get it infrequently.  One thing that
was found was when folks had a printer plugged into the conserver/system saver
type setup with the monitor and IIGs; after the printer was moved into another
plug (circuit?) the problem went away.  Perhaps altering the manner in which
your power outlets are allocated, or obtaining some OTHER isolated electrical
circuit outlets may help.

My biggest problem is that the software bombs when I put my printer online
or switch off my modem, etc.  I get a "Restart system disk, err 01" error...
sigh.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/19/87)

Robert, "Fatal Error 0911" (on the new ROM) is the same as "Fatal Error 0400"
on the old ROM.  It means that synchronization between the IIgs and the
Keyboard Microcontroller (which is surface-mounted on the motherboard) has
been lost.  The problem occured for me with the old ROM and still occurs with
the new one.  I know of no solution to the problem.  It seems to be related
to the IIgs's temperature, but I haven't done any scientific experiments on it,
and I can *not* reproduce the problem on purpose.  (It just happens when it
is least convenient, but never when the machine is cold.)

I have had the problem on power-up (with the machine hot), on any form of
RESET, and on Apple-Ctrl-ESC.  [Apple-Ctrl-ESC is the most annoying time,
becuase the chance of being forced to reboot means you have to save your work
before using any CDAs--it kind of defeats the purpose.  By the way, why do
so many publications get Apple-Ctrl-ESC screwed up?  I have seen it in print
lately as Apple-Shift-ESC and even Apple-Ctrl-"Restart"!]

I have not heard an official Apple statement on the problem, but I would like
to.  If you want to write them about it, give them some hard evidence that
there is something wrong:  do a self-test (by holding down Apple and Option
(note that Option is Closed Apple for //e upgraders) while pressing and
releasing Ctrl-Reset.  You will get "System Bad 09....." (can't remember the
last part of the number).  The self-test on the old ROMs will actually crash
if it detects the keyboard micro problem.  The self test will report "System
Bad" if you do it after you get the fatal error; most of the time your system
will self-test just fine.

--David A. Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS (BITNET)

  P.O. Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/19/87)

Sorry, Andy--Fatal System Error 0911 is not caused by ProSEL.

I never use ProSEL anymore, and I get my share of 0911 errors (and I got my
share of 0400 errors on the old ROM--same thing).

It's conceivable that ProSEL does something--I have no idea what--that makes
the error occur more frequently, but there is a hardware problem at the root
of all this.

Unless ProSEL behaves differently on the IIgs than on the //e or //c, the
Event Manager will not be active while you're in ProSEL--so there is no
such thing as stealing keys out from under the EM.

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/20/87)

William DenBesten (and Chris Schumann)--

Apparently the start of your conversation never got to my site, but:

The QUIT call works fine in ProDOS 8 1.3 (although it has another bug--an
accidental 65C02 instruction which can trash your disk if you run it on a
II+ or unenhanced //e).  QUIT may be buggy on ProDOS 1.0.1--it was not a
documented call back in those days.  [And there is _no_ excuse for using such
an old version!  Go to your dealer and get ProDOS 8 1.4, which is current.]

It should not be necessary to do anything to the bitmap before quitting,
although you _are_ supposed to close all files first.  The A register and
Carry flag are completely unimportant before an MLI call, but I can't remember
if a the MLI does a CLD for you or not.  It can't hurt to include one.

Note that there IS a paremeter list for QUIT.  The parameter count is 4, and
you NEED to have 6 bytes of zeroes in the parameter list to insure

compatibility with future ProDOSes.

Example:     300:  JSR $BF00
             303:  65
             304:  10 03
             :
             310:  04 00 00 00 00 00 00

Hope this helps.

--David A Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS (bitnet)

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/21/87)

Jeff Arenberg--I don't believe the new ROM will have any effect on your
APW Linker problem.  I also have 1.25 Meg in my machine and have never been
able to use a RAMdisk with the Linker.  Hopefully a future version of the
linker will not hog so much RAM (and maybe it will be RESTARTABLE even).
For now, get more RAM if you want to use /RAM5.

--David A Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS (bitnet)

  PO Box 287 | North Liberty IA 52317

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/21/87)

About the rumor that the Unidisk 3.5 is being dropped:  It IS JUST A RUMOR.

I have it second-hand from Sue Goodin, Apple East Coast Technical Support,
that she has heard of no such plan (and that she would have if it was
happening).  (The "second hand" is a sysop on MAUG, CompuServe.)

There was also speculation that a DIFFERENT "Unidisk," but NOT the 3.5, was
being dropped because it has already been replaced by a newer product.  I
don't know specifically which drive this is (if this is even true), but it
would _not_ cut any Apple users' disk storage options.

--David A. Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS (bitnet)       72177,3233 (CompuServe)
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty IA 52317

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (10/21/87)

Bill Dixon (& others)--

Some Finder details Keith Rollin didn't mention.  The Finder reads Icon files
from the ICONS directories on all disks that have them.  All files in these
directories (with the right filetype--$C9 or $CA, I don't remember which) are
read in when you enter the Finder.  The files contain Icons, rules for deciding
when to use the icons, and pathnames for applications that should be launched
when each icon is double-clicked on.

The Finder can match icons with files by three things:  Filename, Filetype, and
Auxiliary type.  A convention as useful as the Mac's has yet to be
established--if one or more "generic" ProDOS 16 filetype(s) was/were assigned,
then the Auxtype could specify 1 of 65536 different applications.  Someone
would need to assign id's to avoid conflicts.

There will be, in the future, at least one product for editing icons (and
specifying the matching rules and application pathnames).  New applications
will include icon files which can simply be copied into the ICONS directory of
the disk the application is on.

Existing applications will need to be revised before they will "care" that the
Finder is asking them to open/print files.
The procedure is to check the MessageCenter for a msg of type 0, giving a list
of pathnames and an Open/Print flag.   (See the release notes for System Disk
3.1.)

BHUBER@ECLA.USC.EDU (10/24/87)

I might be mistaken, but I do believe my version of the APW linker (and editor
as well, which I know for sure is) is restartable.  Note that I use the Orca
shell from Byte Works (creator of the whole banana).
Bud

ASTVKBPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (10/29/87)

Does any one have a copy of the program Font Munger?  It is a Mac program that
converts Mac fonts to gs fonts.  I am looking for any thing that does that (I
have mac.trans.gs off of apple2-l but the fonts are a slightly different format
and I don't want to take the time playing with them if someone has already done
it).  If you could send it to me or post it on apple2-l it would be greatly
appreceated.
          Thanks!

Val Bluestein       ASTVKBPA@UIAMVS       (BITNET)
Now opening "Highlander Herbie's Haggis Hut: One seat, no waiting!"

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/04/87)

1. Could folks who are posting from University of Iowa see if they could get
their mailer fixed to use REAL Subjects rather than the rather uninformative
"This is mail from U of I..."?

2. As for Font Munger, Apple is selling this little sucker.  Note that one
of the GS owners on CIS has discovered that it is buggy anyways.  What he
has had to do is the following.

a. Determine if the font is truely Public Domain.  If it isnt, then it may
be restricted to use only on the Mac!
b. Use Font Munger to add the PRELIMINARY GS headers.
c. Use Passport to move the file from Mac disk to GS disk.
d. Use a program of his own to patch up the font so that the REST of the
GS header info that Font Munger doesnt do gets done.

Sigh...

P.S.  Someone - (Multiscribe folks?) are supposed to announce a GS Font Editor
during November.

--

ralphw@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (11/05/87)

In article <299@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>1. Could folks who are posting from University of Iowa see if they could get
>their mailer fixed to use REAL Subjects rather than the rather uninformative
>"This is mail from U of I..."?
>
>2. As for Font Munger, Apple is selling this little sucker.  Note that one
>of the GS owners on CIS has discovered that it is buggy anyways.  What he
>has had to do is the following.
>
>a. Determine if the font is truely Public Domain.  If it isnt, then it may
>be restricted to use only on the Mac!

Everything I've seen discussed about fonts on the USENET implies that the
only thing that is restricted about fonts is usage of the name.
Due to a loophole in copyright law, fonts cannot be copyrighted.  Effectively
they are always 'public domain', although a user can agree to a contract
restricting further distribution (everything on Compuserve seems to be
restricted this way.)   I believe the names can be trademarked, so that's what
the type houses do for at least minimal protection.

So, don't worry about using these 'Mac-only' fonts on the Apple ][GS.
You may want to give them different names, I don't know about trademark
law would allow you to use some trivial tranformation of the original name
(like GS-<Mac font name> or not.)
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET.UUCP (11/18/87)

Lester, who convinced you that APW C was unusable?  Admittedly it has had its
problems--that is to be expected, since it was released in Beta-test form so
we could start USING it.  Version 1.0 has now been shipped to APDA (although
it doesn't appear in the catalog yet).  I'm using 1.0B7 APW C, and I find it
perfectly usable.  Not perfect--there are a couple of obscure problems in the
".h" files and the library, and a problem with "\p" (an extension for creating
Pascal strings)--but these are minor problems and have been fixed in 1.0.

As far as I know, APW C is the only C compiler for the IIgs (under ProDOS 16,
generating OBJ files, I mean).

BTW--the fact that APW C 1.0 has been sent to APDA comes from notes in the
APPDEV conference on CompuServe.

--David A. Lyons

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (12/06/87)

> Date:         Mon, 23 Nov 87 00:01 CST
> From:         2QZNHONE%UKANVAX.BITNET%wiscvm.wisc.EDU@husc6
> Subject:      RESETTING RAM DISK SIZE WITHOUT TURNING OFF GS
>
> The way you reset your /RAM disk is to select the size you want then you must
> quit the control panel and quit the desktop accessory panel then press these
> keys:Open Apple_Shift_Control_Reset   That simulates a cold boot without
> having to turn off the //GS.  Remember to quit the control panel after you
> select your new ram disk size. Then press the necessary keys as described
> above.
>
> Todd Smith
> 2QZNHONE@UKANVAX.BITNET

Todd & all, I remember reading this in a magazine someplace.  I tried it out
and it didn't work.  I just tried it again to make sure.  No dice.  Holding
down shift doesn't make any difference for me.  [I have the ROM upgrade to
version 01--I would be interested to hear for sure whether the old ROM behaves
the same way (I suspect it does).]

HOWEVER:  There is an easy way to force the RAMdisk to get resized.  Just
start a self-test with Apple-Option-Ctrl-Reset.  Once it starts, then do a
plain old Apple-Ctrl-Reset to restart.

Note--whenever holding down modifier keys along with Ctrl-Reset, always hold
down the keys AFTER releasing Ctrl or Reset, until you SEE the desired action
begin.  (If Apple-Ctrl-Reset "doesn't always work right" for you, this will
magically solve your problems.)  [For //e-upgrade people, read "closed Apple"
for "option" and "open Apple" for "Apple."]

--David A. Lyons
  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS (bitnet)
  [CompuServe 72177,3233]
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (12/06/87)

>A while back I heard mention of a PATCH to AppleWorks that allows Printing of
>more than 9 copies of file. If anyone out there has this PATCH would you so
>kind as to send me a copy.
>
>                        Thanks
>Phil Rich
>ihnp4!akgua!akguc!pjr1

This information is from the October 1987 issue of _Open-Apple_, page 3.71.

Patch AppleWorks VERSION 2.0 to allow up to 255 copies to be printed:
  POKE 768,255
  BSAVE SEG.M1,T$00,L1,A768,B36074
  BSAVE SEG.M1,T$00,L1,A768,B9185
  BSAVE SEG.M1,T$00,L1,A768,B65895

(Note that it is NOT necessary to BLOAD the SEG.M1 file first.  Actually it
isn't even possible--it's too big.  Each BSAVE command puts a single byte
into a particular spot in the file (the spot is determined by the B option).)

You can patch older versions by using different numbers after the B option.

For VERSION 1.2:        For VERSION 1.3:
  34049                   34253
   9151                    9151
  67095                   67332

-----
Open-Apple is written, edited, and published by Tom Weishaar.  It is an 8-page
monthly publication.  US$24/yr.  Send subscription related correspondence to

    Open-Apple
    P.O. Box 6331
    Syracuse, N.Y. 13217

--David A. Lyons (a.k.a. DAL Systems)
    BITNET:      AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
    USMAIL:      P.O. Box 287 | North Liberty IA 52317
    CompuServe:  72177,3233

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (12/06/87)

>.. so it closes all open files, drops a 4 into the ProDOS parameter list
>(why? they're all zeroes anyway!!) and calls the MLI function hex 65.

Aha!  Because they are NOT all zeroes in all cases!  Apple did a good job of
planning ahead there.  There is currently one case when non-zero parameters in
the QUIT parameter list.  It is on a IIgs, when ProDOS 16 was originally
booted but ProDOS is currently running.  If the first byte is $EE, then the
2nd and 3rd bytes are the address of the pathname of the next program to run;
instead of quitting to the caller, the specified application is run (and it
can be SYS, S16, or EXE!).

[I tried to send this note to mackay@dalcs.UUCP, but it bounced back]

--David A. Lyons

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (12/17/87)

>Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 06:54:33 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Sean R. Owens" <so0u+%andrew.cmu.EDU@husc6.BITNET>
>To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA
>Subject: 6502 Assemblers
> ... if the
> writers of TIC, Davex, and Z-link, etc, DO use 6502 assembly, what
> assemblers do they use?  Lastly, does anyone out there know of decent
> (or indecent) PD or Shareware  6502 Assemblers?

I am the author of Davex, and it *is* written completely in assembly
language.  I am a little embarassed to admit that I use Apple's EDASM
for the main program.  When I started Davex, I was working on a II+,
and EDASM was the only thing I had with a large symbol table.  I
generally use FreeWriter or some other text editor to do the typing,
and then use EDASM just for actually assembling.

Generally I use & recommend Merlin Pro (by Glen Bredon, and sold by
Roger Wagner Publishing if I'm not mistaken).  I would switch over to
Merlin Pro, but the main program is almost 11000 lines long, and there
is a nontrivial amount of conversion necessary to move between those
two assemblers (I've moved other projects before).  (The differences
are, among other things, the way MSBs are handled [Merlin uses single
verses double quotes and EDASM uses MSB ON and MSB OFF pseudo-ops],
the meaning of ">" and "<" operators for getting the low and high
bytes of an address, and the punctuation allowed in labels [EDASM
allows periods but not underscores, and Merlin allows underscores but
not periods, etc].)

I don't know of any PD or Shareware assemblers, decent or otherwise.

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233

P.S.: Davex should be available on APPLE2-L toward the end of this month.

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (12/31/87)

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA writes:
>...does there exist any (ideally, any GOOD) documentation on the Finder, and
> if so, how does one go about getting it?  Does it now come with the new
> machines?

Yes, it comes with new machines.

Here is a message I am forwarding from the Call-A.P.P.L.E. BBS (phone =
(206) 251-0543):

=========================
Item #>78
Subj ->GS Finder Manuals
From ->WALTER NELSON (#224)+
Date ->11/30/87 10:03:36 AM

The Computer Store in Seattle has backordered 100 copies of the GS Finder
Manuals. They will sell for $19 (or was it $12, better check your dealer
for the latest price!?). The story is that Apple is including them with
all new GS systems sold and that is where all their inventory is going
so it will be a few weeks until the supply is there for existing owners.
Keep checking with your dealers. The part number is A2D6001-030-1495-A
with a title of "Apple IIGS System Disk User's Guide".

Walt Nelson (#224)
Fircrest School
========================

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET:  AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CI$: 72177,3233

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (01/09/88)

>Date:  Fri, 8 Jan 88 08:39 EST
>From:  TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
>Subject:  ProDos Quit code

>I have a need to get a ProDos/16 binary (type $B3) launched from within
>ProDOS/8 basic.
>There is ... supposed to be an
>extension to the ProDos/8 MLI quit call that allows one to give the
>pathname of the next application.
>I assume the extension involves some change to the parmlist, but I don't
>want to try to guess what it might be -- it doesn't sound like just
>replacing the 0's with a pathname would do!)

You're not far off, although it's not something you'd be likely to guess.
The first 0 in the parameter list becomes a $EE, and the next 2 bytes are
the address of the pathname.  I believe the pathname can NOT be in $02xx,
and it MUST have the high bits turned OFF on the characters.  ProDOS 8 doesn't
care about the high bits, although they are supposed to be off anyway.

If ProDOS 16 has not been booted, this call behaves just like a boring old
QUIT call.  The file being launched can be SYS ($FF), S16 ($B3), or EXE ($B5).

>I know one can't do it directly with a PRINT
>D$;"-NEWPROGRAM" (I've tried.)

Actually, I constructed a little patch for BASIC.SYSTEM to let you do this.
I'll see if I can dig it up if anybody is interested.

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CI$: 72177,3233

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (01/09/88)

>Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 88 12:40:36 EDT
>From:         CS656%OUACCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Bob Church)
>Subject:      HYPERCARD FOR THE //
>
>Would it really be that good to have Hypercard for the Apple //?

Yes!

>Hypercard seems to be the Mac version of BASIC. I realize that it is
>much more powerful but it was designed much later than BASIC after
>equipment had improved greatly.  By comparing it to BASIC I'm referring
>more to the principle than technicalities.

Hmmm.  If Hypercard is the Mac version of BASIC, what is MS-BASIC for the
Mac?

I don't see that Hypercard is much like BASIC at all:

>Like BASIC, it allows just about anyone to write programs quickly and
>easily.

True...but you don't have to write code to do useful things with Hypercard.
You can set things up visually, so it's even easier than BASIC.  (Try writing
a little graphic appointment book in BASIC sometime.)

>I think though, that with time, the limitations will start showing
>up.

Certainly it has limitations.  But it can go a heck of a long way; and when
you add XCMDs and XFCNs written in C or Pascal (or ???), it goes even farther.

>Will it be that the more you use it the less you like or trust it?
>(Like BASIC)

Eh??  I haven't used BASIC much lately, but I have used it a lot & have
written numerous extensions to it.  What's not to trust?

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (01/11/88)

>Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 88 22:02:20 GMT
>From:         Jon M Pearsall <pitt!cisunx!jon@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.EDU>
>Subject:      two small programs for you
>
>Here's a couple of *really* short but useful programs which I found in this
>month's (January, 1988) A+ magazine.
>[...]
>Just load the graphic by doing a BLOAD file,A$2000 and then
>run the program.  Then, resave the graphic picture back to disk by doing a
>BSAVE newfile,A$2000,L$240

What kind of a picture has a length of $240??  $2000 will work much better.

I don't use Print Shop, but $240 sounds like it could be the right length
for one of their little images.  Of course, you wouldn't be able to SEE it
on the screen if it was loaded on the first part of the hi-res memory (from
$2000 to $223F), but you could invert it there & re-save it.

AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET (DAVE LYONS) (03/07/88)

>Date:         Thu, 3 Mar 88 21:46:41 GMT
>Sender:       INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
>From:         Jason Klivington <tektronix!reed!gry@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject:      IIGS Menu Manager

>...the Mac's [memory mgr] allows scrolling, while the GS's apparently
>does not.

>The major disadvantage of this is in regards to the use of
>fonts. It is possible to store a large number of fonts in the
>system/fonts directory and not be able to access them all in a word
>processor because the font list spills off the screen on the bottom of
>the fonts menu (boo.)

There is a "Choose Font" call available that presents a modal dialog
with a list of fonts, check boxes for styles, and a box for typing a
non-standard point size.  Applications that use this in addition to
having the fonts listed in the menu (or not) work OK; MultiScribe GS 3.01c
does, for example.

>I do hope that they bother to fix this in the next system release

Me too, although I would probably bet against it (they have been too
busy with more pressing things lately).

An application could define its own "custom menus" & have them look just
like regular menus, except that they could be scrollable.  I haven't
seen any applications do this.

>(should be relatively easy since Menu Manager is
>stored on disk, not in ROM...well, there's one advantage to having it
>set up like that...)

It would be just as easy to patch if the Menu Mgr was already in ROM.
The Tool Locator is truly beautiful. (But with it already in RAM we
wouldn't be giving up any RAM space or making the boot any slower.)

>Has anyone else noticed any flaws in the GS tool sets?

You bet!  I've been finding & reporting problems with GS tools ever
since fall '86.  Many of them have been & are being fixed by Apple,
but not as quickly as I'd like.

>    Jason Klivington
>    Reed College, Portland OR

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (03/20/88)

RE: SCROLLING

The ad for ProTerm 2.0 in the April 1988 _A+_ includes scrolling of all
information that comes across the monitor screen (called SCROLLBACK), with
the limit being the amount of memory installed. ProTerm 2.0 is said to work
on ][e, ][c, and ][gs. Does this suggest that any of these ][ can scroll is
the appropriate software is supplied?

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp               |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) (03/20/88)

Bruce Halpern writes:> Proterm 2.0 (etc.etc) Does this suggest that any of these
Apples can scroll if the software is supplied?

Well sorta kinda,
 I have had Proterm since it first came out. (1.0) tho this version is
a little buggy, it is a good telcom pgm. The scrollback feature is linked
to the aux memory that is onboard and works well with my 1 meg AE mem. exp.
on an old ][e. I found that Proterm sure can use the speed up of the
transwarp, as it takes forever for things to work, (initiating a modem
felt like a week) I dunno if this is fixed on the 2.0 vers.
   Backwards scrolling has been done like this in many other pgms, after
all Appleworks scrolls in both directions.

\|/es
-------