[comp.sys.apple] ASCII Express Pro

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (03/08/88)

Hi, I'm using an Apple ][e with the ASCII EXPRESS PRO modem program,
version 4.2.  Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the terminal emulation.
I can set up the terminal emulation using ^U and then S, but no matter
what I set the terminal type to ASCII EXPRESS PRO is ignoring it.  I
can't seem to find anything in the manual to help, either.

Does anyone use this program?  Can anyone help?  I'd really appreciate it
because readnews is a pain in the neck compared to vnews or vn and I'm
being FORCED to use it :-)

Try the path:  ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!david   to get back to me.

Thanks again,

David

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WILLIAMS MICHAEL SCOTT) (03/09/88)

In article <331@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:

>Hi, I'm using an Apple ][e with the ASCII EXPRESS PRO modem program,
>version 4.2.  Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the terminal emulation.
>I can set up the terminal emulation using ^U and then S, but no matter
>what I set the terminal type to ASCII EXPRESS PRO is ignoring it.  I
>can't seem to find anything in the manual to help, either.

  From what I remember (I am not with mine at the moment), first of all
emulation needs to be turned on.  This can be done from one of the
2 main menus.  If it is off everytime that you startup AEPro, then
in the Install menu you should set the switch the startup value of
emulation to ON.
  I don't know if you have tried this, but all you mentioned was using
U S which will set what type of terminal you are to emulate and with
what equipment you are to be doing it WHEN you are emulating.

Have that has something to do with it,
Remo

..{nbires,hao,seismo,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!williamm
BIT: WILLIAMS@COLORADO.EDU
SNAIL: 2905 E Aurora Ave #129, Boulder CO 80303

kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (03/09/88)

From article <331@jc3b21.UUCP>, by david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles):
> Hi, I'm using an Apple ][e with the ASCII EXPRESS PRO modem program,
> version 4.2.  Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the terminal emulation.
> I can set up the terminal emulation using ^U and then S, but no matter
> what I set the terminal type to ASCII EXPRESS PRO is ignoring it.  I
> can't seem to find anything in the manual to help, either.

From what I remember about the program, it could only do vt52 emulation at
best. I don't remember how to get it there but if you really want terminal
emulation, get ProTerm 2.0 (with the patches) which does a better job for
what you want to do.

--
	Bob Kusumoto                         |           Follow me!
Internet: kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu           | I'll play the game you want me,

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (03/09/88)

In article <331@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:

>Hi, I'm using an Apple ][e with the ASCII EXPRESS PRO modem program,
>version 4.2.  Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the terminal emulation.

I'm sorry for you.

>I can set up the terminal emulation using ^U and then S, but no matter
>what I set the terminal type to ASCII EXPRESS PRO is ignoring it.  I
>can't seem to find anything in the manual to help, either.
>
>Does anyone use this program?  Can anyone help?  I'd really appreciate it
>because readnews is a pain in the neck compared to vnews or vn and I'm
>being FORCED to use it :-)

I would say dump AE and use Z-Link. Z-Link does h19 and vt100 and they WORK,
unlike AE which doesn't do a few things properly and doesn't do vt100 at all.
I personally don't see the advantage of vt100, but there is high demand for
it, so Z-Link's got it.

	Dave

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

jtjones@halibut.NOSC.MIL (Jeffrey T. Jones) (03/09/88)

I forgot how to include the previous article in a follow-up, but whoever asked
the question should recognize this answer.

This is from memory, so it might not be exact, but its pretty close.  To use
AE Pro as a terminal emulator, get to the correct screen (by typeing ^U), go
to the emulation screen where you'll see I)ncoming and O)utgoing. Set Incoming
to the terminal you want to emulate.  For VT-52 I think its 5.  Set Outgoing
for something like Datamedia 80-col.  I believe its number 6.

There you go.  Of course you must have the toggle for emulation ON, but other
than that, you should be emulating!! You can also modify the terminal
description a bit.  I did, to add inverse to my vt52 emulation.  I guess its
not in there by default.  I also had fairly good luck with the h19 emulation.
Hope this helps.
									Jeff

--
Any opinions expressed are my own, and have NO connection with my employer.
--

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WILLIAMS MICHAEL SCOTT) (03/10/88)

In article <17672@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>In article <331@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>>
>>Hi, I'm using an Apple ][e with the ASCII EXPRESS PRO modem program,
>>version 4.2.  Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the terminal emulation.
>
>I'm sorry for you.
>> [...]
>I would say dump AE and use Z-Link. Z-Link does h19 and vt100 and they WORK,
>unlike AE which doesn't do a few things properly and doesn't do vt100 at all.
>I personally don't see the advantage of vt100, but there is high demand for
>it, so Z-Link's got it.
>
>	Dave
>
>David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS

  Dave, what if he doesn't HAVE an enhanced //e or greater?  Isn't this
a limitation of Z-Link.  I have never bothered getting Z-Link due to this.
And about VT100, the reason that it has such a high demand is that it is
basically a standard; supported HIGHLY on DEC systems (now, why is
that ?? :-) ) which ARE fairly common.

Remo

..{nbires,hao,seismo,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!williamm
BIT: WILLIAMS@COLORADO.EDU
SNAIL: 2905 E Aurora Ave #129, Boulder CO 80303

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (03/10/88)

My AE Pro emulates okay.  Go into the terminal emulation menu (^Qus) and
select datamedia (#5) for the output terminal.  Set the input terminal to the
type you want to emulate (I use 6 for VT52).  exit to the current macro menu,
turn on emulation mode ($).  You might also have to press u to "update from
current macro" (depending on how your AE was installed), and anyway it won't
hurt.

I don't know if any other emulation do or don't work, because I've never
needed to try them.

The first page of chapter 18 "Terminal Emulation" covers it, but can be very
confusing.  Too bad the manual has never been re-written.  It's a good pgm.

patrick wolfe
pwolfe@kai.com
..!{uunet,ihnp4}!uiucuxc!kailand!pwolfe

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (03/12/88)

In article <4728@sigi.Colorado.EDU> williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WILLIAMS MICHAEL SCOTT) writes:
>In article <17672@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>>In article <331@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>>>
>>>Hi, I'm using an Apple ][e with the ASCII EXPRESS PRO modem program,
>>>version 4.2.  Everything is working fine, EXCEPT the terminal emulation.
>>
>>I'm sorry for you.
>>> [...]
>>I would say dump AE and use Z-Link. Z-Link does h19 and vt100 and they WORK,
>>unlike AE which doesn't do a few things properly and doesn't do vt100 at all.
>>I personally don't see the advantage of vt100, but there is high demand for
>>it, so Z-Link's got it.
>
>  Dave, what if he doesn't HAVE an enhanced //e or greater?  Isn't this
>a limitation of Z-Link.  I have never bothered getting Z-Link due to this.
>And about VT100, the reason that it has such a high demand is that it is
>basically a standard; supported HIGHLY on DEC systems (now, why is
>that ?? :-) ) which ARE fairly common.

I suppose non-support of earlier machines is a limitation on Z-Link's part,
but I've coded it using 65c02 opcodes and wrote certain things which are
inherent of 128k enhanced //es or more recent machines (80 cols, mousetext,
etc).

As for vt100, my original statement is not properly stated. I should have
said: I personally don't like vtxxx (ANSI) type terminals because of the amount
of overhead in doing the emulation. ANSI terminals use <ESC>[(row in decimal);
(column in decimal)H to address the cursor while vt52/h19 use <ESC>(row+32 in
binary)(col+32 in binary)Y. h19 always needs just 4 characters to address,
ANSI needs a varying amount from 3 to 8 characters (avg 5 or 6). See my point?

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: If they only knew what I was doing and saying here...

In article <17844@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>ANSI needs a varying amount from 3 to 8 characters (avg 5 or 6). See my point?

What, that ANSI X3.64 supports screen widths greater than 91 characters?

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (03/13/88)

>As for vt100, my original statement is not properly stated. I should have
>said: I personally don't like vtxxx (ANSI) type terminals because of the amount
>of overhead in doing the emulation. ANSI terminals use <ESC>[(row in decimal);
>(column in decimal)H to address the cursor while vt52/h19 use <ESC>(row+32 in
>binary)(col+32 in binary)Y. h19 always needs just 4 characters to address,
>ANSI needs a varying amount from 3 to 8 characters (avg 5 or 6). See my point?

Strictly speaking, you don't need to send as many as you say.  As it is,
the ANSI standard makes for compatability with 7 bit systems by allowing
the substitution of CSI with ESC [. CSI is nothing more than ESC with
it's high bit set.  This is also done with two other codes, I believe
(unfortunately, I cannot scroung up my photocopy of the vt220 mini
reference card, which is all I have to go on programming for them. . .),
SB1 or somesuch.  The thing is, they use either two 7 bit chars, or one
8 bit char.

As far as parsing the vtxxx codes, if you'd like, I think I could show
you how to do it (don't worry, Jim, I won't give the competition the
secrets!), without a ton of overhead.  Jim Hayes wrote a short note
about how he does it in DCOM, and it does work rather well.

As far as DCOM emulating a vt100, up to but not including the special
chars of the DEC models, it might be interesting to note that a *lot* of
so called vt100 emulators don't have them either.  The ones that do
either have nice graphics screens and fast processors to use them, or
they have the characters in ROM.  Now, the Apple II, which has been
around for a *long time*, does not have blazing graphics.  Neither does
the GS, for that matter. Not that that's reall a problem, as I for one
never use graphics (oh, every now and then I use Applesoft to see what a
simple function looks like, but that's about it). However, you can do
this: (in the spirit the Apple II was designed in!) burn your own PROM!
All you have to do is get a bitmap of the vtxxx special chars, and put
it in the character generator ROM.  It isn't as hard as it looks or
sounds.  In fact, if you want very special purpose PROMs, you have have
two banks of characters (as every //e does.  How many of you knew that?
one set is in case you want a Dvorak keyboard. . . Write me,  I'll tell
you how.) and a toggle switch to use Apple or VTxxx chars.

But what's the point.  I'll tell you what.  Tell me what char you want to
be displayed for what special char (this includes mousetext) and I'll
put it in the DOS 3.3 version of DCOM (maybe.  I'm a student as well,
and to date I have gotten $5,  which I did not ask for, but I liked, for
my efforts.).

Did you ever think of getting a vt100 terminal?    I get a little tired
of people saying "Well, before I trash the II, I wonder if. . ." or "I'm
trying to find *some* use for the II, before I . . .".  People keep
saying "if you want (you name it), buy a(n) (you name the computer)".

This group is about Apple II's, and how to use them.

Sorry for my long windedness.  I just finished getting through 197
messages on comp.sys.apple, as I have been "away" for a while.

I hope I will be contributing more usefull information soon.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (03/20/88)

RE:VT100 emulation

In addition to DEC systems, the default terminal for our TCGOULD (which
provides me with access to edu/usenet) is VT100 (although it will accept
lots of others), and our run-of-the-mill IBM mainframes like VT100 very
much (something like it is necessary for full-screen use of XEDIT, I
believe).

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp               |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |