[comp.sys.apple] Modems, licenses, and piracy

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/22/88)

  The Computer Consultant <SCHENKMAN@HARTFORD.BITNET> writes:
>In fact, the British need a license to operate a TV (even though there are
>only 3 stations. I suppose because there are problems with PIRATE TV stations
>that this is why).

Actually, the British have to license TV sets so the government can send
owners tax bills (most British TV is noncommercial and is supported by
the license fees).

Whether or not it ever would have been a good idea to license modems,
there are far too many in use for that to be a practical idea now.  At
least two local phone companies have sought to impose a "data line"
charge on the phone bills of modem owners.  The logic is that studies
show that data calls last, on average 3 times longer than voice calls.
Any of you with teenagers in the house may find that hard to believe,
but consider that a modem almost never tells you that the individual
you wish to speak to isn't at home right now (there are a LOT of 10 sec
voice calls).  In short, if modems ever are licensed it won't be in
the interest of protecting copyrights; rather the object will be to
collect a fee.

spent any time attending user group meetings KNOWS that "pirates"
(at least sources and requesters of software of dubious pedigree)
come in all ages, sizes, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations,
etc.  One certainly doesn't need a modem to have all manner of
software coming "over (or under) the transom" (often entirely
unsolicited).

I don't use AppleWorks, nevertheless in the last month I've politely
declined at least 4 offers (from varying ages and sexes) of the
TimeOut software.  Apparently it's so good that well-meaning
friends want me to have a copy (in which case Beagle Brothers
certainly DOES deserve to be paid for it).  For my part, I definately
don't want to trust anything important to unsupported, undocumented
software.  If I'm going to use it, it going to be a registered copy.

The argument that "I'm too poor to afford my software" clearly is
self-serving and wrong (where'd the money to buy the computer in
the first place come from?  Apple II systems today cost about 1/4th
the price of first system I purchased 5 years ago; it is more for the
IIgs, but still much less).  I've noticed that I only really
use about 4 pieces of software anyway (word processor, commware,
spreadsheet, data base).  At today's prices one can cover those
applications (by mail order anyway) pretty well for less than $300.
If you can afford the computer, you surely can afford that.
If you can't afford Zaxxon (and other games), do without (there is a
public domain game called "Defender" that's about as good anyway).

'Tis true of course that VCR's are used to copy movies and
recoders are used make "personal" tapes of music.  However, the
fact that "fair use" is routinely stretched beyond all reason
hardly justifies software piracy.

Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employer's anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut