[comp.sys.apple] I hope this clarifies some things....

LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET (03/08/88)

A few replies.

1)  For those of you looking for the Fractals:  I will post the one
    (lone) fractal picture on Apple2-L as soon as I get Executioner
    from the LISTSERV.  I can post the program, which is in BASIC, but it
    requires a super-res Ampersand routine from Nibble, and is SLOW, SLOW,
    SLOW...it took 14 hours to do a regular magnification Mandelbrot set
    (it would probably take over a day to do any higher magnification).
    Please send replies as to the feasablilty of sending this program.

2)  Someone wanted to know about the status of the VT220 GS emulator...due
    to my status as a full-time student, I have not yet completed the
    control-sequence coding.  all ESCape coding is finished, as is all
    graphics programming.  Expect this program to be posted on Apple2-L
    within a month (I hope...)

3)  I have actually saved the fractal as a screen-format picture (can be
    loaded by Paintworks, DeluxePaint, Display.Pic, etc.)

4)  Re:  Paintworks Gold...I have to purchase the magazine which I found
    the address in, and will post the info when I get it.

5)  Re:  What's a fractal?   Good question.  It is a non-linear function,
    which depends on previously obtained values.  The general formula is
    x    = f(x ) + c
     k+1      k

    The value of x is obtained from previous values of x.
    these functions range from the Mandelbrot set (a complex-numbered set
    whose formula is x = x * x + c) to random-displacement fractal
    mountains.

Les Barstow
LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET
..{rutgers}!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421.UUCP
292 Kimball Drive, Rochester, NY 14623  (U.S.Snail)

LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET (03/14/88)

From:   edu%"chris@cs.wisc.edu"  9-MAR-1988 07:35
To:     LMB7421
Subj:   Re: I hope this clarifies some things....

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 88 21:09:50 CST
From: chris@cs.wisc.edu (Chris Schumann)
To: LMB7421@ritvax.bitnet
Subject: Re: I hope this clarifies some things....
News-Path: uwvax!husc6!hao!ames!pasteur!ucbvax!RITVAX.BITNET!LMB7421

I can't post news, so maybe you will post this tidbit.

Fractals get their name from fractional exponents, as in

  c^x, where x is not an integer.

Chris Schumann            chris@dream.cs.wisc.edu

suem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Sue McKinnell) (03/15/88)

> 4)  Re:  Paintworks Gold...I have to purchase the magazine which I found
>     the address in, and will post the info when I get it.

To upgrade to Paintworks Gold: send the first page in the manual
(the credits page and it must be the original page), a check for
$23.50 ($20.00 + $3.50 S&H; add 6.5% sales tax if shipping to CA),
and mail to The Gold Standard, Dept. BP, Activision, 2350 Bayshore,
Mt. View CA 94043.
I posted this to clarify the page to be sent.  I read the magazine ad
to say to mail page 1, which is *not* the credits page.  The very
day I planned to mail this in, I got a flyer from Activision saying
that the page to mail is the credits page (the first page in the
manual).
--
Sue McKinnell    ...!ihnp4!ihlpf!suem	IH 6N311      x5313
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all

douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) (03/22/88)

My understanding is that fractals get their name from having a fractional
number of dimensions.  Of course, by the ordinary definition, they still have
an integral number.  Sierpinsky developed a notion of fractional dimensions
to apply to patterns such as Sierpinsky's carpet that aparrently fill area
but mathematically do not.  There are several good articles in Scientific
American and Byte from the past few years.  I reconstructed Byte's fractal
drawing program from fragmentary evidence and drew most of the shapes from
their article, using GriffinTerm, with its Tek 4012 emulation.   My code
is in Pascal and input is not user friendly.

--
Doug Reeder                           USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
10 Cyclopedia Square             from BITNET: douglas@reed.UUCP