[comp.sys.apple] Terminal programs

seven@BORAX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/19/87)

  I recently got a very nice terminal program called "Modem Manager".
It gives you 9 function keys which can call macros.  It can emulate
a large number of terminals including VT-52, ADM, TV,... also
you can also create additional terminal emulators.  It comes with
a small screen editor (useful for creating macros).  And it lists
for $40.  I've been using it for three months and I haven't had
any problems with it.
   ---Ben

mikec@tekred.UUCP (Mike Combs) (01/20/87)

I'm interested in ProDOS terminal programs.  Macros, Xmodem transfers,
an editor, and a capture buffer are important.  Less important is terminal
emulation.  Ease of use is important, as is //e compatibility.

Modem MGR sounds good.  I haven't heard from anyone who uses Point-to-Point.
AEPro I don't like.  Softerm2 I like, but it isn't ProDOS.

Are there others?  Thanks in advance.
Mike A. Combs   GEnie: mike.combs   MCI: mcombs   tektronix!tekgen!tekred!mikec
     ^--The "A" is for: "Accidently erased the files".
terrorist, contras, drugs, Iran, secret, NSA, CIA <- NSA line-eater food :-(

OAF.G.PELLER%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@xx.lcs.mit.edu (Adam Peller) (01/22/87)

Some others to look at:

Mousetalk AE: a lot like AE Pro, but it uses windows & such to make it a
		little friendlier.  It has a nice full screen editor,
		operates in ProDOS, has vt52 emulation + just about everything
		else...

Point-to-point: ok, but a little too simple.  I just didnt feel too comfortable
		with it... maybe cause im used to AE Pro??  It operates a lot
		like AppleWorks and has about the same capabilities as
		mousetalk, it just looks a little different.

Pinpoint accessories: pinpoint has a really cute pop-up communications
		accessory.  It lets you call out or answer, send & receive
		AWP files & even has a phone directory... Its VERY simple,
		but also very handy to have around while you're in AppleWorks.
		You can get a file via modem & insert it into your document
		without even leaving appleworks...

Apple Access //: stay away from it

Good luck.

Adam Peller -- ADAMP%OZ@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
-------

ELORANTA@BRANDEIS.BITNET (01/22/87)

         I don't see any reason to stay away from access //.

         It works fine VT100 even on 9600 baud!!!

         I haven't had ANY troubles with it!

         Jussi.

ag0@k.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <8701221123.aa07104@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> ELORANTA@BRANDEIS.BITNET writes:

>         I don't see any reason to stay away from access //.
>         It works fine VT100 even on 9600 baud!!!
>         I haven't had ANY troubles with it!
>         Jussi.

I have to agree with the earlier posting.  Access // is nowhere near the same
level as most other terminal programs.  My copy of Access // doesn't always
talk to my modem properly, although other terminal programs don't seem to have
the same problem.  Pulldown menus are nice for novice users, but after a while
they become slow and tedious.  When you choose to escape the emulator and
use an Access command you lose any text you had on the screen.  Access does not
repaint the screen when you go back to the terminal emulation mode.  I think
you can get far more for the money trying some other product.  Ascii Express
seems to be a favorite with most people.

				Colin

schumann@puff.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <1725@k.cc.purdue.edu>, ag0@k.cc.purdue.edu (Colin Jenkins) writes:
> [...]  When you choose to escape the emulator and
> use an Access command you lose any text you had

kemp@bgsuvax.UUCP (Wade Kemp) (03/24/88)

Help!!

I need a terminal package for the Apple IIGS, oe that would emulate a
Tek4014 graphics terminal would be the best.  I need to see what some
statistical data looks like with out printing it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

wade

	- Wade Kemp
	UUCP:	...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!kemp