[comp.sys.apple] Apple's can get viruses too!

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/24/88)

 Brint Cooper <abc@BRL.ARPA> writes:
>    Personally, I think that comp.sys.binaries is a very bad idea
>for just this reason.  Sharing source code is one thing; sharing object
>code is another.

I've seen that message ALL OVER MS-DOS bbs's (doesn't seem to slow the
flow of either legitimate or Trojan files much).

Caveat Emptor applies (maybe Caveat Acceptor since it isn't "empted").
Those of us with simple floppy only systems are in a better position
to take chances.

I have a LOT of reasons (besides Trojan software) to be leary of hard disks.
Reliability always is in doubt; I prefer removable media.

"Comp.binaries.Apple2" is something of a misnomer because actual binary
(8bit) files aren't practical on the Internet, although I guess the
difference between binary and "hexified" binary is a quibble.  However,
it has always seemed to me that comp.binaries.apple (APPLE2-L for that
matter) IS an appropriate place to post source code - surely info-apple
isn't the place for it.  I might add that some of us (me for instance)
haven't (yet) felt a great need to buy an assembler and learn how to
use it (so source code won't do us a whole lot of good unless we're
willing to go to a lot of trouble -- maybe after I buy my "next
generation" <Mac III?> machine).

As a practical matter, comp.binaries.apple already functionally exists
in the form of APPLE2-L.  The limitation is that APPLE2-L isn't
reachable (has anyone tried that // JOB REPLY-TO="address" command?)
to too many subscribers.

Paul's post indicates 123 votes so far (with a couple of weeks to go).
At least this time the total number of votes appears sufficient to
qualify for a decision (nothing like counting the ballots at a gateway
address).

Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employer's anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut