Date: 20 March 1988, 19:45:09 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

Subject:      extra memory for the IIc

Doug Reeder wrote:

>How much does it cost to get that memory expansion to the IIc, and how
>useful is it?  Is it easy to use from your own programs?

Price:
Applied Engineering makes a line of memory expansion cards for the IIc.
Here are some prices that are quoted from the Preferred Computing ad on the
inside cover of the March 1988 ^Call-A.P.P.L.E^:

      Ultra 1              256K                $169
       Memory only         512K                $229
      Ultra 2              256K                $229
       Memory & Clock      512K                $289
                           1Meg                $409
      Ultra 3              256K                $279
       Memory, Clock,      512K                $339
       & CP/M              1Meg                $459

Checkmate also makes a line of memory cards for the IIc. Their prices are about
the same.

Usefulness:
The easiest way to use memory expansion is as a RAM-disk. I bought the 512K
Ultra I about a year ago, and I've been very happy with it. A 512K RAM disk
gives you a ProDos volume of 992 blocks. I can load that up with AppleWorks,
Basic.System, and a few utility programs, and still have about 500 blocks of
memory.

There are two ways to use the memory expansion cards with Appleworks. One way is
to use the extra memory as an expanded desktop. With a 512K card, you can get a
401K desktop. A second method (and this is the method I prefer) is to load all
of AppleWorks into /RAM. This gives you a normal size desktop, but it eliminates
the need for any disk-swapping. AppleWorks 1.1 and 1.2 can be loaded into /RAM
without any modifications. AppleWorks 2.0 does not recognize the AE cards; it
recognizes only cards that follow a certain protocol developed by Apple.
However, Version 2.0 can be patched so that it does recognize the AE cards. A
patch program appears on the Beagle Bros Super-Macroworks disk.

As for using the expansion card in your own programs: again, the easiest way is
via /RAM. You can read and write to /RAM just as you can to any other ProDos
volume. Moreover, operations on /RAM are much faster and much quieter than
operations on a floppy disk.

I'm not an expert on it, but I understand that you can acess the memory
expansion card directly with some judicious bank-switching.

Installation:
AE says that if you can change a light-bulb, you can install one of their cards.
Don't beleive it. If you are fairly good with electronic hardware, you can
probably install it yourself. If you're a ten-thumbed klutz like me, you should
take it to your local technician and pay him ( or her ) to install it.

A serious disclaimer: I have no official relation to Applied Engineering or
Beagle Bros; I'm only a satisfied customer.

Sid Graham
swgraham@mtus5.bitnet

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (03/24/88)

I have an Apple //c with a 512k Checkmate MultiRam card.  (See their ads in
Nibble, A+, etc. for prices.)

Mainly I use the 512k as a ramdisk, using the software that comes with the
card.  I can load all of Appleworks and all of the Pinpoint Spelling Checker,
with dictionary, onto the card at once.  (It takes a few minutes to do this,
though.)

My normal setup, though, is Appleworks and Basic.System on the Ramcard.  I can
then switch from one to the other in about three seconds.  I use this to
write/run Applesoft programs that process text files produced by the Appleworks
data base or spreadsheet.

As for using the 512k in your programs -- if you buy "Program Writer" from
Beagle Bros, you also get something called "ProBasic", which is like
Basic.System, but it adds a slew of extra features to Applesoft, including the
ability to store arrays in a disk-based text file instead of in memory.  The
array can be accessed using normal Applesoft array syntax.  I am not sure if
Beagle Bros still sells "ProBasic" with "Program Writer", so you might want to
call them up to find out how to get it.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22%andrew@cmccvb

crimmins@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crimmins) (03/24/88)

In article <gWG4j1y00W0NA9q0ZZ@andrew.cmu.edu> mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) writes:
>I have an Apple //c with a 512k Checkmate MultiRam card.  (See their ads in
>Nibble, A+, etc. for prices.)
>
>Mainly I use the 512k as a ramdisk, using the software that comes with the
>card.  I can load all of Appleworks and all of the Pinpoint Spelling Checker,
>with dictionary, onto the card at once.  (It takes a few minutes to do this,
>though.)

I have a 1 Meg Z-Ram Ultra II; I use a 768K ram-disk.  It used to take
me over 3 minutes to load it up with all the stuff I keep on it (from
floppies).  Then I tried Glen Bredon's Backup and Restore programs
which are bundled with his $40 ProSel package (a nice deal, even if
there are a few bugs here and there).  With Restore, my load-up time
is cut by a whole lot -- something like 70%.  I used to use the
Applied Engineering Autocopy program.

Now I'm not as upset about turning my //c off, or using a program like
MouseTalk, which nukes ram-disks (but a new version is about to be
released which'll fix this).  So even if you don't like Bredon's
ProSel selector (I don't), there's lots of other useful stuff in the
package that's worth the dough.

Mark Crimmins (crimmins@csli.stanford.edu)