[comp.sys.apple] changing GS vert res could work

>Date:         Sat, 19 Mar 88 02:19:09 GMT
>From:         Doug Gwyn <gwyn@brl-smoke.arpa>

(Discussion:  How could Fonts still work if the vertical resolution of
the IIgs super-hires screen changed?)

>The basic problem would be that the fonts are defined as bit-maps
>and if the resolution were doubled the 10-point bit-map (for example)
>would come out as 5-point on the display.

As far as I know no nice provision has been made in the font format for
stuff like this, but it wouldn't be that big of a problem.  The Font
manager could be changed to recognize old and new fonts, and for the
old ones it would just have to draw each line twice on consecutive
lines.

>The programming problem
>is more basic, in that the current GS display memory is contiguously
>allocated and addressed by software on the assumption that there are
>200 scan lines per screen.  There was no allowance made for more, so
>existing software could not find it.

Well, any program that uses TOOLBOX CALLS ONLY to get at the display would
have no trouble.  Newer versions of QuickDraw (& other toolsets) would be
provided in ROM &/or on disk, and they would set up a larger screen either
by default, or at an application's request, or at the user's request through
the control panel.

It isn't quite true that no allowance was made for mor than 200 scan lines
per screen.  As long as toolbox calls are used rather than direct hardware
stuff, it could work nicely.  For example, an application could start up
QuickDraw II and do a GetPortRect on the full-screen port to get the
bounds rectangle for the port--then just subtrace the top from the bottom of
the rectangle, and you know the screen height!  If you need to fiddle with
pallettes, use SetSCB and GetSCB (not stores and loads in the $E19E00 space).

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233