[comp.sys.apple] A lesson in Computer Etiquette, Pt. 1

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (03/31/88)

Nice summary of non-linguistic symbols. We all need to remember that those
sending articles to the net have a wide variety of languages as their first
(or second) language, and a range of cultures. The non-linguistic symbols
can help this cross-cultural communication.

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET (03/31/88)

>From:         Andy McFadden
>              <agate!web6e.berkeley.edu!laba-4an@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
>
>What the hell does ":-)" mean, anyway?
>
>I keep seeing it pop up everywhere, and I have no clue...

The excerpt below was posted as a sample on the introductory NOTES conference
on our VAX...
->>RITVAX::DJMACC "David Medvedeff"                57 lines  22-OCT-1986 09:08
                         -< Electronic Body Language >-

    Facial Expression
    -----------------

    One of the greatest difficulties when communicating by computer is that
    you often cannot tell if the author of a note is serious, joking,
    angry, or being sarcastic because you cannot see the author's face.  As
    a result, users of computer-based conferencing systems have developed
    patterns to represent facial expression.

    Some examples of patterns are presented here for your consideration,
    but you should enjoy creating some of your own.  These patterns were
    created using the colon (:), semicolon (;), hyphen (-), opening and
    closing parentheses, the vertical bar (|), right brace (}), slash (/),
    and the tilde (~).

     :-)   Joking or sarcastic face

     :-}   Fiendish grin

     ;-)   A wink

     :-(   Sad or angry face

     |-(   Late night

    Intonation
    ----------

    Use all uppercase letters for when you want to SHOUT in your note.
    Surround with asterisks a word you want to emphasize (like *this*).

    Emotion
    -------

    A conversation that lacks emotion lacks vitality.  While most people
    cannot begin to conceal their emotions in a meeting, they can easily
    create notes that are carefully controlled, reserved, even dull.  Do
    not be afraid to rant, protest, or pontificate in your notes -- just be
    considerate enough to warn people that you are about to express an
    angry or unsolicited opinion.

    One way of signalling the boundaries of a tirade in your text is to use
    some symbol, word, or expression before and after the text in question.
    For example, you could surround an online rampage with <FLAME ON> and
    <FLAME OFF>.

    Using this technique, you provide a socially acceptable emotional
    outlet for participants who might otherwise be discouraged from using
    VAX Notes for fear of being misunderstood or unloved, and
    simultaneously spare participants who have better things to do than
    continually indulge chronic complainers.

Since the time of this note, about a zillion and one different (and odd)
expressions have been developed.  Use your own sense of creativity, but
comment if it's too vague for everyone to understand.

I realize this probably shouldn't have been posted here, but I couldn't
make heads or tails out of the address I got in the header.

Phoenix                                      | The above in no way indicates
Les Barstow                                  | ANYTHING, including, but not
LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET                        | limited to: my sanity, the
..rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421.UUCP | opinion of RIT or ISC, the time
292 Kimball Dr.  Rochester, NY 14623 .USSnail| of day, or the weather.