[comp.sys.apple] too little RAM for slots?

>Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 88 10:39:43 CST
>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@andrew.cmu.EDU>
>Subject:      GS Slots
>
>[...]
>finally, it sometimes gets annoying how little RAM is assigned to the slots.
>I don't know how to fix this, but it is possible to add a few more pins to
>each slot in such a way that old cards fit but larger ones could also work.

I don't see how adding more pins would help.  In any case, the 8 bytes that
each slot gets is *plenty* on a IIgs.  Why?  It's enough to store a handle.
Actually, you can store TWO handles (and have 2 bytes left over).  The memory
blocks referred to by your handles can have as much stuff in them as you want,
including more handles!  The built-in ports tent to shortcut the process a
bit, since Apple can just assign a few bytes of bank-E1 space to them...but
3rd-party cards could certainly work this way (at least, I don't see why they
couldn't).

>Capt. Albatross

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317